Thread: Streamside Etiquette

Threaded View

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening,
    Salmon I know not of, but just dream about.

With Trout,
    Myself, I don't mind in fact I don't care if a wormie or lure chucker make all the fuss, in front of me.

Because I learnt long ago.
    The easiest way to catch a Trout was TO FISH when he was in hiding.

Wormies and lure chuckers frighten the biggest fish in the pool/stream or what ever.
    AND 99% of fly casters do ALSO !
    Thats why they are the biggest the biggest fish on station in that location.

When a Trout is frightened, he or she looks for, goes for cover, somewhere to hide.
    And in almost all cases it will be the banks edge or under over hanging grass or bush.

Now, all of a sudden my possible fish catching area has been reduced to about 2% of the stream/creek or what ever.

Then the next step, is I must cast perfectly, to within 100mm/4inches of the selected location my victim is hiding under.

The cast is the super hard part, however this to me is all apart of my Trout fishing. With a giant plus bonus, the art of landing my fly to within my target area is a plus when a fish rises out some where in the pool/stream.

At all times I would suggest you practice the oldest Rule of Far and Fine, if you wish to win the game of tricking a frightened Trout hiding under cover.

So next time a boof head comes crashing in, just sit back, grab a bit to eat from your pack and watch, watch and look for cover where Mr Trout would run away to.

(Or you could tell him/they about the snakes you saw just up the stream abit and how big they were....... smiling here. )

And then a sly smile on your behalf is all thats requires to have a fantastic afternoon.

And if you don't trick a fish, you sure have improved your casting skills and had a wonderful time at peace with nature and the World around you.

Kind regards,
    UB
    Last edited by Uncle Barry; 09-04-2008 at 08:51 AM.