Jim -

The furling process creates something much stronger than the apparent strength of its components. I think the breaking strength of the Danville 210 tying thread is something like 12 ounces. Three of them very loosely wound together would be about 3 pounds breaking strength.

By the time you are done furling, there are a lot more than three simple strands holding the tip ring, and the strength far surpasses 3 pounds. Mine have proven around 10 pound breaking strength several times.

The static test I've used is accidently sticking a fly tied on 2X 10# tippet into a tree or something like than on the far side of some water I couldn't or wouldn't wade to retrieve the fly. Simply pulling until something gave - every time it was the tippet, usually at the knot to the tip ring ( which is the weakest point in the rig, but close to 10# strength ) with no damage whatsoever to the leader or tip ring.

I guess I could tie on heavier test mono and expand the static test to a "usual" breaking strength for the leaders and tip rings, but just don't see the point.

John