Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
jhthorisson -

First of all, welcome and greetings to the FAOL Bulletin Board from SE Idaho.

If you haven't been exploring this whole website, you've got some good wandering around to do in your future.

There are always plenty of good, helpful folks ready to lend a hand and offer an answer or opinion.

There may well be better lines for your purpose, but I'm very well satisfied with the Rio Selective Trout II. The line is well matched by wt designation to the rods I use.

We do get some pretty cold weather around here, and I use the Selective Trout lines on my 3 wt, 5 wt and 7 wt year round, fishing lots of days with the air temps at or close to freezing, occasionally down into the mid 20's. Some "memory" on really cold days, but always very manageable.

Enjoy your stay. ( And someone is bound to say something like "the new guy brings the donuts" but it won't be me. )

John
Thanks. I am fairly new to the FAOL BB but the FAOL website has been one of my favourite websites for a few years and I have learned a lot from exploring it. After I discovered FAOL I have become interested in building my own fly rod and I almost certainly will build my first one next winter. I want a good line on the upcoming "masterpiece" so that is one of the reasons I posted my question.

Usually the rivers and lakes open for business 1st April or 1st May and you can be fishing in temperatures below freezing point. I was once fishing in -2?C it was tough because the line kept freezing in the guides on the rod but it was fun and the temperature rose up above freezing point later in the day. Not many lines will be without memory in that kind of situation and I will not be looking for the impossible.

Anyway about the Rio lines my brother has one on his 5 wt (I don't know which kind of Rio line he has), he only got it this summer so it is not fully tested yet. He let me try it and I loved the line and indeed it seemed to have no or at least very little memory.

So I was already interested in the Rio lines before you mentioned them. So thanks to you I am even more interested in the Rio lines.

Rio Selective Trout II could very well be a good choice for me since I mostly fish for Brown Trouts and Arctic Char but hardly ever for Atlantic Salmon. There are local shops that sell Rio lines and I am sure to get some good advice about which one to buy.

Jon