mantis,

On main stem Del several years ago. I waded out and simply hadn't realized how far I'd gone and how deep it had gotten. When I turned to head to shore I realized the predicament I was in. At best, I thought for sure I was going for a swim. A drift boat was coming by and I called to the guys. They just ignored my calls although I'm sure they were close enough to hear me. Fortunately I was able to wade back without taking that swim. Interesting enough, I found that it was easier wading upstream at a slight angle, balance wise, rather then downstream at an angle. That probably is not the prefered way to go about it but it worked for me.

One other time, this happened down on the Delaware too when I was a 15 year old and in a group of 8 kids that had just completed a canoe trip. We were swimming near the Gap and 3 canoes of girl scouts were going by. Some of us decided to swim out and say hello. Unbeknownst to me, one of the guys yelled to the girls that we were going to scuttle their canoes. When I reached the canoe one girl popped me on the head with her paddle and I went under.When I came up the canoes were well down river and I had to swim out in a downstream angle. I ended up coming to shore about 1/4 mile downstream and had to walk back to our camp position. Never did find out who it was who 'warned' the girls.

Allan