I'm wondering if the warranties are significantly different for some rods in the comparison tests ??

That could explain a fair spread in the quality / performance vs price of a given rod.

( Thought about checking warranties out for each rod presented, but since I'm definitely not in the market for another rod, didn't make the effort. )

Also, regarding Clay's post, I'm generally in the same camp - finding good prices on higher quality equipment. BUT some of those close out deals, even if they carry a warranty, don't really guarantee that the company will be around to honor the warranty.

For example - one rod I looked at on Sierra Trading Post looked like a great deal. When I checked the manufacturer's website, they specified that there were NO warrantees on products purchased at discount from mail order / website retailers, such as STP.

Another example - I bought a Powell LTT 7'6" for 3 wt through STP on closeout. A rod that retailed for around $500 and proved to be worth every cent of it for casting and fishing pleasure - picked it up for around $190. But by the time I had a warranty issue with the rod, Powell was no longer able to repair / replace the rod. They did honor the warranty to the extent they could, and provided a replacement that was the best match in their VERY LIMITED line of fly rods, but it was a significantly less expensive rod ( at retail ) and not nearly so good a rod on the water.

I don't know how big an effect warranties have on price overall or on any given rod. I personally would rather buy a quality rod with a limited warranty for something less than a comparable rod with an unlimited lifetime warranty, and take care of it. Others prefer otherwise, and would be well advised to check with the manufacturer before buying.