Hi Shane ! So...you met a knothead, didja? .......Bummer. Musta been your turn..
I have done it both ways, finished the whole rod, and just the wraps. It depends on what you want in the finished look. I also have rods I purchased that are finished both ways. Far as I can see the extra weight is negligable, and the action isn't affected enough to tell by me. I usually have a time getting the finish to be real smooth though, when I've finished the whole rod. For sure no way without having a turner. The old cud you ran into was right about one thing, though... A 2wt is a beginners rod, a child's rod as well... so are 3wt, 4wt, 5wt, 6, 7, 8, 9, 5/6, on and on... Ya learn on what ya got, and ya use whatever ya want. .............some guys, (like me) learned to fish with a spinnin' rod. In fact, I even still use one from time to time I learned fly casting on a bamboo rod, so that was a beginner's rod too. The old guy's just a wank....forget all about him..........Besides, a 2 is a blast most of the time.
And........If you have guides on it, and a grip and reel seat on it, and your putting the finish on it, it ain't a blank no more.....it's a rod................Happy Fishin'
....................................ModocDan