Two important things to work on. Finding the fish is number one. You can be doing many things wrong and still catch a lot of fish if there are fish in that location. Likewise, you can do everything perfect, but not catch anything if the fish aren't there. Learn to read water. Know the fish like to hang out.

I understand what Jack is talking about, but many times I make the mistake of trying to catch every fish in a hole. You aren't looking for every fish to be caught, just the agressive ones. If you have caught 5 or 6 fish out of a small stream hole, spring creek, there are probably more aggressive fish in the next hole. Don't stay in one spot too long. There is a balance between what I am saying and what Jack is saying. A guy can make a mistake both ways and we are both right.

My second most important thing is to tell the difference between a bite and no bite. Signal vs. noise. For most beginners there are times when no strike indicator can be used, like when Czech or Polish nymphing. Short lines and heavy flies or dry flies. But for most beginers a strike indicator is a great add in detecting bites when nymphing. Take out the memory in your leader so that an inch movement of the nymph translates into an inch movement of your indicator. If you have large memory coils in your leader, the fish can move the nymph several inches and the indicator will not move.

I speak mostly of nymphing because it has been said many times that fish feed subsurface 85% of the time. Dry flies are fantastic durring a hatch and they are visual and fun, but I fish them about 15% of the time. I mostly fish nymphs. Have fun on the water and listen to what the fish teach you each time out. Be observant and you will have a grand time on the water.

Rick