I'm 65 years old. (ouch that hurt) and I've seen quite a few changes in the passing years. Some are good and many are not. Here's a few.
When I was 13 (52 years ago), my father bought a Montgomery Ward chest type freezer. What a novlety. Freeze the stuff you wanted to keep. Right now it sits in my daughter's garage, still going strong after all these years, without a single repair. It's been in constant use too. It doesn't owe anybody anything.
I had a Kenwood 18 foot camp trailer that was built in 1958 that's still going strong. Can't wear the booger out. Tried hard. Gave it to my fishing buddy to use because he can't afford to drive his $80K motor home out camping anymore. I have another 2000 trailer that's falling apart already.
Bought a 12V Ryobi reversible drill two or three years ago. Battery won't charge any more. You can't get a new battery at Home Depot any more, but you can get them online for around $45. Almost as much as the drill cost. The rest of the drill is in excellent shape, but who wants to sink that kind of money into something that's already obsolete?
Technology today has provided us with some great stuff that makes life a lot better than it used to be, but I sure hope that we can figure out how to make things last longer than a year or two. Our ravenous desire to own the latest and greatest whatchamadoodle fires the engines that leave some good technologies sitting in mothballs. We've progressed from vinyl, to reel to reel, to 8 track, to Cassette, to CD, to Bluetooth, and what's next? I'm sure it's on the drawing boards. And that's just in an eyeblink of time. I don't own a Z-Axis rod (yet) but I'm still using my old 8' Fenwick glass rod that I bought back in the late 60's. It doesn't owe me anything either.