+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mountain Flys

Default Mountain Flys

I know that I have posted something like this in the past, but with another great mounatin trip planed I figured I would toss it out there and see what I can get for imput. I am takeing a few trips to the mountains (Bighorns, and central CO). What should I start tying for my fall trips... yeah I am sure to get cold and sure to see snow... but like that ever stoped any of us from catching fish (or trying damn hard).

Thanks for any imput

Andy

I just sent you an e-mail that I recieved yesterday from Breckenridge Outfitters. It looks like an excellent Indian Summer comming!

By the way, I do have some #28 tricos tied up if your passing through.

Matt

[This message has been edited by mwebb (edited 19 August 2005).]

Hi:

I do this kind of fishing all the time. I usually look at the water for some rings. If I see them I start with a dry fly, but eventually I turn to an intermediate sink line with a Woolley Bugger. I start with dark green bodies, sizes 10 and 12.

Migs

One more thing abinder:

You said snow. check the water temperature. If its too cold they might not feed at all. (And I was particularly thinking about mountain lakes)

Migs

mwebb

Thanks for the great email!!!!

Migs

I am hopeing that my first tirp will be soon enough that I can get in some great fishing, but my second one is sure to see snow. But whats a little casting practice on a cold say if worse comes to worse

I just got back from the Big Horn Mtns. Fish were rising everywhere and all the time. I fished Royal Wulfs, Irresistables and Renegades. Caught a lot of fish, including a 14 inch brown! Good luck.

While I have not fished the area before, for alpine lakes, I keep things fairly simple: olive or brown damsel fly nymphs (even after they have hatched they still work) usually in 10 or 12, elk hair caddis in 12 - 16, sparkle caddis emerger same sizes, and midge emerger patterns in 16-22 (mostly the smaller sizes). I have used buggers wth lots of success butI find the damsel nymph to be better producer. Most of the time I dont use nymphs but the following work fairly well: Prince nymphs, PT's, hare's ear nymphs, scuds amd midge patterns. Out of the previous, I pretty much just use midge patterns if I use any of them. Not in my fly box but effective flies would be a wullf, humpy, adams.

If the fish in a lake are small brook trout, then it usually doesnt matter what you use. They often over populate a lake and when they compete for food, anything that looks alive is fair game.

Hope this helps you out.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

+ Reply to Thread