Thread: Davy Wotton Wet Fly Ways DVD

Threaded View

I have this video and feel Davy did a great job with it. I am a true wet fly fishermen and tyer. I do use a three wet fly rig and have very good catch rate. I also use just a plain old 1 wet fly set up as well and variate my cast's depending on the stream. Sometimes I cast upstream on faster waters and strip the line while the fly is flowing towards me. The traditional wet fly swing with a Leisenring lift, and finally a down stream with short strip on the order of a streamer. Depending on stream levels I will use a DT Floating line or an intermediat sinking line. Now Davy talks about the leader to line connection and how to make a three fly rig. I do like this set up better. It's a lot easier to make and is keeps the fly's from tangling if you tye the fly on the leader propperly. Now I love some of the patterns he uses and do not always agree with the others. There are a ton of other wet fly patterns that work extremely well like a Grizzly King, Yellow Professor, Blue Professor, Gray Hackle Peacock, Green Drake, Dark Hendrickson, The captain and a pattern that is a little over 100 years old that is a Catskill origional wet fly called the Black Turkey. I could go on and on with patterns that work with times of year and weather and stream conditions. Lastly a nice medium action fly rod in a 9ft 6 weight range works best with sinking lines and three fly rigs. Keep in mind I exclusively fish with size 6 and size 8 wet flies. You don't have to have that big of a fly rod that Davy goes with. Just my two cents worth.

Fontinalis
    Last edited by Fontinalis; 01-26-2008 at 01:50 AM.