Ouchican:

Tim hit the nail on the head, we can. We have expensive toys. My other rods and reels are almost as expensive as the fly stuff. I have one reel that is worth about 300 with the line on it. I paid less for it and I would not sell it for twice what it is worth. I love the reel, but it came from someone near and dear to the Flats Dude. I pick up that reel and I feel a connection to the old owner. I have become friends with his wife, but have never met her. WE exchange e-mail. She has told me the stories of this man.

To me there is nothing like well made equipment. There are some reels and rods out there that while I would love to own them I just cannot afford them. But if I had the money I think I would have one heck of a collection.

Go and pick up a 35 dollar fly reel, run your fingers all over the reel feel the balance and the fit. Now handle a reel that is 100 dollars it will be a little better. Pick up an expensive reel and then it will be different. All of these reels will catch fish. But it has something to do with owning something you are proud of. I'll bet if you think about it you have something you are proud of. Could you have gotten by with something cheaper? another one of my "expensive" habits is pocket knives. The knife I carry in my pocket is worth around 100 dollars. Why because I love the feel of it. I use it every day, I keep it razor sharp. I take care of it. If my family were hungry I would sell the knife in a second. But it is not about the money, it is about the quality. I saved for a long time to buy my Gatti rod. I could have bought a 35 dollar rod and gotten by. But that Gatti is my favorite. It just feels good. I hope that this helped. I know it is not an easy question to answer but Tim did make it clear. Because I can.

[This message has been edited by Harold Hattaway (edited 04 August 2005).]