OK, we're sliding away from the original question. When I said that salt water fishers were, understandably, more into reels than freshwater guys, it was about drag. So I know drag is important. You brought up the drag difference, and I thought you were talking about the difference between a 7 and 8 drag. But now I guess you meant different reels have different drags.

My original question assumed that the Teton is one of the best, if not the best, salt water reel, with great drag, for around $250, with the Teton Tioga being cheaper by about $75 or so. That is, the Teton (standard) is better. and with that in mind, the question concerned whether the sacrifice of "mismatching" an 8 rod with a 7 Teton was worth it to get a Teton rather than a "well matched" but slightly less-desirable Teton Tioga 8 regular arbor.

So, yes, a salt water reel's quality is about drag, anodizing, drag, machining tolerances, drag, backing capacity, and drag. And of course cosmetics.

Question: My wife and I have two 8 rods and have a chance to buy a fantastic pair of Teton 7 large arbor reels, with extra spools, half price, $160 each, or a pair of Teton Tioga 8 standard arbor reels for $100 each. We of course prefer the Teton (standard).

I am sure that any differences would be subtle, but we fly anglers are into discerning subtle differences.

Any help from the Teton crowd?

Busbee