+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Organizing your fly boxes

Default Re: Organizing your fly boxes

Bring the dirty dozen for the water you're going to fish.

My main 4 boxes that go in my chest pack.
    buggers

Nymphs(most used)(pheasant tails, 3 rows of them! in different sizes!ha.)

Not as frequently used nymphs/midges

Dries/terrestrials (not to popular with the fish in my local waters) (thats why the box is small.

Soft hackles/Emergers

Theres my main four........ and of course I have about 5 others with some other stuff in them that sit on the shelves at home! and some big plano storage boxes full of flies!

If some one made a Wheatley style fly box that was 2" deep by 4 1/2" wide and 7 1/2" long, rippled foam on one side and compartments on the other, I could get by with only ONE fly box. I fish dry's 80% of the time so my concentration would lie there. I almost never fish streamers but have a small perrine streamer box that I could also carry.

As it is, I usually carry 3-4 boxes with no particular organizing other than putting flies into the box that they best fit.

Scott

P.S. For mountain stream brookies, a large fly patch would do the trick!

I have a box of nymphs with a few streamers in the lid, a dry fly/soft hackle box, and a warm water box that contains streamers and poppers. I usually carry 2 of the 3. I won't need the warm water box if I'm fishing cold water. If I'm fishing warm water, I can put everything I need into the box with streamers and poppers and just carry it.

I believe the reason so many of us have so many fly boxes with so many variations of the same fly, is because we feel the need to tie every pattern that we have ever been exposed to, and to tie it in six different sizes and twelve colors of each size (you do the math cuz I can't)...just in case we might need them. Truth be told, most of us have no more than about 5 or 6 flies that are our "go to" flies. We fish them very differently than any other flies, and have a huge amount of confidence in their fish-catching ability. I know that's true for me and many of my friends.

But, do we really even need 5 or 6 patterns? How many of you have heard of "ONE FLY" tournaments? That's where the angler is permitted only a few flies of the same pattern to fish with all day long. I have read about these tournaments, and have been amazed at the fish that have been caught using only one fly.

We have so many patterns in so many sizes in so many boxes because that's the American way. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    I believe the reason so many of us have so many fly boxes with so many variations of the same fly, is because we feel the need to tie every pattern that we have ever been exposed to, and to tie it in six different sizes and twelve colors of each size (you do the math cuz I can't)...just in case we might need them. Truth be told, most of us have no more than about 5 or 6 flies that are our "go to" flies. We fish them very differently than any other flies, and have a huge amount of confidence in their fish-catching ability. I know that's true for me and many of my friends.

But, do we really even need 5 or 6 patterns? How many of you have heard of "ONE FLY" tournaments? That's where the angler is permitted only a few flies of the same pattern to fish with all day long. I have read about these tournaments, and have been amazed at the fish that have been caught using only one fly.

We have so many patterns in so many sizes in so many boxes because that's the American way. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Joe

That's not true.

I only bought 20 dozen flies this week.

Or was it 30?

And how much did that cost you?
    2.00 a fly...20 dozen flies....480.00???? Your crazy.

A set of fly box pictures I've found very helpful are those about John Barr's fly boxes, shown at:

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/johnbarr/

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie

I pay $.50 a fly.

Cheaper than I can tie them.

+ Reply to Thread