The RX8 I believe is a Batson product. The Fiver Rivers by Dan Craft. Both are proprietary. Both are fast action rods.

As for difference, I don't know. I have not built a Batson RX8. Batson has a good reputation. So does Dan Craft.

I personally would rethink the kit you were considering. I would suggest a 4 pc. rather than a 2 pc. -- however, this is just my preference . Mainly b/c I think it is easier to transport a 4 pc. when traveling -- especially in an airplane. I don't know anything about the company you are buying the kit from. I do know that Dan Craft or Hook and Hackle sell components or kits and these guys know how to build rods -- therefore if you have a problem you can call them and they can help you out over the phone.

The Batson's are good blanks. You need to buy them from a retailer -- you can't buy them direct.

Dan Craft can sell you a Batson as he is a dealer -- but his Five Rivers series are also quite good. In fact, I called him to purchase a Batson and he suggested his Fiver Rivers Blank b/c it was less expensive. I tried it and I liked it.

His number is 1-541-782-4404. He also has a web site. They will help you out. In fact if you buy from Dan Craft tell him you are just starting out so they can help you.

Expect a learning curve -- not too steep -- but still a curve. Initially you focus will be on the overall process -- but also take time on the details -- like aligning everything from reel seat, hook keeper, guides, etc. and the application on the finishing epoxy.

Learn how to work with the epoxy finishes. Go slow, blow out the bubbles, learn how to flame it, to smooth it out.

Overall, use this site for advice when your in a pinch -- these guys can give you incredible advice.

Again, review the Al Campbell information on this web site -- read it a couple of time so you know what to do.

An don't worry, if it ain't perfect -- so what? Nothing is and this rod doesn't have to be. Remember, the rod is a tool to through line out in the water.

Have fun.