I built a rod on a rainshadow 4 Piece blank and it was OK -- a lot slower than I like so I don't use it. Since then I've made a couple on Dan Craft Enterprises Five Rivers Blanks -- alot faster. I like them alot better.

As for what you need, you will need a different Epoxy for the grip and reel seat than for the wraps.

for the grip and reel seat -- a Devcon 2-ton Epoxy from the hardware store is fine. Be sure it is water proof and has an adequate working time. Be sure to have some alcohol or Acetone available to clean things up.

For finishing the wraps, you will need something like Flex Coat -- I prefer the lite material. Again, clean up with alcohol.

To fit the handle and reel seat, usually you have to do some filing with "rat tail file".

You should also have some masking tape handy -- I use it to place all of my guides before wrapping. It can also be used to shim up the seat and or handle if needed.

Presumably you have some tip top adhesive.

After finding the spline/spine, I use a lazer level -- like a cheap one from Sears -- to line up the guide positions on each section. First I tape the blank to the counter top with the spine up and centered. Then I shoot the lazer down the blank section and mark the center where each guide goes. I use to do it by eye but the guides always seemed a little off -- they kind of creep over to the side a small amount. With the lazer on, I simply put a mark on the blank and then check it again by placeing a piece of paper over the guide postion so I can see the lazer.

BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS TO READ THE AL CAMPBELL STUFF A COUPLE OF TIMES ON THIS WEB SITE AND HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED COLLECTED AND HANDY.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND DOUBLE CHECK ALIGNMENTS -- SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE APPLYING EPOXY. IF IT AIN'T QUITE PERFECT, RE-WRAP.

IN THE END, JUST HAVE FUN AND USE THIS SITE FOR YOU QUESTIONS. THE GUYS HERE ARE GREAT WITH ADVICE.