Jamie,

I think it's good you posted up your side of the story. I believe you on the authenticity issue.

But I want to talk about the philosophical issue and priorities thing.

I understand and appreciate "family first." But...personally...I don't put my family ahead of my integrity. If keeping my word costs me more than I bargained for, that's MY problem. If it hurts my family, that's MY problem. This guy didn't make a deal to feed your family. You did. This is a good example of why people should be very careful to make sure they aren't making promises they can't keep. I assume it was you who helped your wife get pregnant, right? So the medical situation resulting in loss of income was also YOUR responsibility. Sure wasn't Z's.

I'm not saying this to jump in the middle between you and Z or take sides at all. MY point is one about business and integrity...in general. This situation just provides an excellent example to base that discussion on. When I do business with people, I expect them to take the same view I have of keeping their obligations. I'm usually disappointed. Keeping promises is NOT supposed to be an "unless it hurts me" sort of proposition. That's called not keeping your word. No excuses. When/if it happens, you apologize, make it right, and take your lumps. I don't care if you got ran over by a bus while crossing the street!

You see, there's nothing wrong with saying to someone you've struck a deal with, "Hey, I'm on the short and having trouble feeding the kiddos. I want to make good on this, but I would really appreciate it if you give me some time." Almost every half-way decent human on Earth would grant that request. But make no mistake - THEY are doing YOU a favor by allowing you to modify the deal. YOU don't have any sort of right to modify the deal without their permission...even when you play the "family first" or "kids first" trump card.

That's my opinion. And I'm not just stating it for your consideration. I'm tossing it out there for general consumption.