+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New fly fisherman/ old dirt bike rider

nighthawk Guest

Take a trip to the Allegheny National Forest during the spring ATV rally and you will get your eyes opened. I will admit that things have gotten better here in Pa since the state passed very strict laws and gave DCNR better means and authority to enforce the law. Those laws are enforced on everyone, not just bikers and ATV riders.

We got tired of seeing our streams used as obstacle courses, swamps and marshes used as mud bogs and fields and forests used as improvised race courses. I, too, love to ride snowmobiles, dirt bikes and ATVs but only on land and trails set aside for that purpose. We have a long way to go but I think, in this instance, our state has done a good job of finding the best balance between recreational use of the land and conservation of the habitat. God intends us to use his creation in a responsible manner, not abuse it.

BTW, I believe that, Betty, like me, is a conservationist, not an environmentalist. Puts her in a group with the likes of Teddy Roosevelt. Regardless, I do not see the need for name calling.

Ah, geeze, not this one again!

You can call me anything you want to call me; conservationist, tree hugger, nature lover, flyfisher ... they all fit, at one time or another. Fortunately, like the streams, I'm pretty resiliant. My basic premise was that, when I was out fishing in the little streams, it more than disturbed me to have my solitude disrupted by anyone or anything ... unless it was a herd of buffalo or elk, and that's when the tree hugging comes into play! Maybe that's selfish of me.

I fish, not to catch the most fish, but to regain my sanity and inner peace. I love people, but I really enjoy being alone, too. I'll go way out of my way to help someone with their fishing, flies, kids, whatever, but give me some quiet time too.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is respect me. And ours. Whatever it takes. Or whatever you choose to call me.

Oh, and Nighthawk, thank you for putting me in with Teddy Roosevelt! I like that! Other than some of his eating habits, and swimming nude in the Potomic. I'm all for an afternoon, or more, of just goofing off, or gawking at the wonderous reserves of this marvelous Nation!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

nighthawk Guest

Betty,
    Sorry. I didn't intend to be insulting.

OMG!!! Anything but!!! I'm proud to be considered among his class! i really meant it when I said "Thank you!"
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread