+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for comments on furrled leaders

Migs;
    You have a pm. I've got so many furled leaders I'll never use them all in my lifetime. And they cost just pennies to make!

A tip of my hat to Jack Hise (and all of you!) -Migs

Does anybody use the little rings that Feather Craft uses? It sure seems like a good idea for tying on tippet if it works.

Gramps,

Some of the mono furled leaders I have use the small rings to attach the tippet. Makes cutting off the old tippet real easy. I just attach the tippet to the ring with an improved clinch knot.

The thread furled leaders I have don't have the metal rings, but do have a loop for loop to loop connections. Again, changing tippets is easy. Just tie a perfection loop in the tippet and your ready to go.

The metal rings weigh very little so a bit of mucellin or other floatant would help keep them on top of the water. I have never lost a fish due to a failure of the metal ring. I also have never noticed any hinging when casting this setup.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk
    Gramps,

Some of the mono furled leaders I have use the small rings to attach the tippet. Makes cutting off the old tippet real easy. I just attach the tippet to the ring with an improved clinch knot.

The thread furled leaders I have don't have the metal rings, but do have a loop for loop to loop connections. Again, changing tippets is easy. Just tie a perfection loop in the tippet and your ready to go.

The metal rings weigh very little so a bit of mucellin or other floatant would help keep them on top of the water. I have never lost a fish due to a failure of the metal ring. I also have never noticed any hinging when casting this setup.

REE
    I've been using the BlueSky furled leaders. It has a small loop on the tippet end and i've been using a clinch knot to attach my tippet, because I have a hard time making a small enough loop in the tippet. I like the idea of the small ring instead, and was thinking of switching to the Feather Craft leaders. It would be safer with my eyes when I cut the tippet off the leader.
    I've lost the sight in one eye,and of course my depth perception is poor. I can see with a magnifier, but I can't line things up. It's comical watching me tie knots.

A couple are on the way when I stop at the P.O. tomorow a.m.

I have been making and using furled leaders since 1994. Here is an excerpt from my files on the pro and cons of thread furled leaders. Leaders made of mono exhibit different characteristics.

The following advantages and disadvantages apply to the thread furled leaders. My apologies in advance if the indents in the text get misaligned.

Regards,
    Jim Cramer

Advantages

o Memory Free

o Positive turnover provides increased accuracy

o Reduced micro-drag

o Natural elasticity protects light tippets

o Gentle presentation eliminates leader slap

o Compatible with a wide variety of tippet sizes

o User Friendly, not prone to wind knots (however one can form wind knots if they try, *S*)

o High-visibility assists the angler in the tracking
    small flies in adverse light conditions

o Good retention of paste floatants

o Excellent knot strength

o Far less spray than hollow braided leaders, comparable to monofilament leaders

o Inexpensive, if you make your own

o Custom leaders can be designed with a wide latitude in tapers and characteristics to meet many angling situations

o Good longevity, reports of leaders lasting several seasons are not uncommon

o When used for nymphing, a bright colored leader serves both as a strike indicator and a drag indicator.

Disadvantages

o Positive turnover increases difficulty with curve and 'trick' casts

o Some thread leaders can mildew if put away wet in a warm dark place

o Will collect dirt if used in scum covered waters and will not float until cleaned

o Knots are difficult to remove

o Keep you back cast up as the leaders are very difficult to remove from the brush

Furled leaders are not the answer to every fishing situation but they do excell at many.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise

A couple are on the when I stop at the P.O. tomorow a.m.
    I read this ten times and still don't know what you said.

Gramps;
    It's a secret code taken from my days working for the National Security Agency!

In reality I asked Migs to pm his snail mail address so I could send him a thread and a flourocarbon leader.
    These are 10/8/6 6.5 foot leaders using 24" butt, 30" intermediate and 30" tippit end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise

A couple are on the when I stop at the P.O. tomorow a.m.
    I read this ten times and still don't know what you said.
    Insert "way" after "the"

That was easier than breaking the Japanese code

+ Reply to Thread