[quote=Dr. Fish]
Quote Originally Posted by "River Rat":7428e
Looks like you were just upstream from the Abby. This is what that area looks like, right now!!

Actually we were right in Mission but close enough. Yes, I have a good friend who lives in Mission and he has been telling me the beating they have taken on cold and snow. Looks more like Edmonton than southwestern BC!
[/quote:7428e]

Yes, that pic is about the same area, just the opposite side of the river from Mission. Some huge Fraser River sturgeon caught and released this year, such as this one.

Sturgeon are bottom feeders, and rely on scent to locate the food source. They approach it very slowly, methodically. When they reach the source of smell, the barbels come into play feeling the food, identifying it as food. When they decide it is okay, they will inhale it, and exhale it quite a bit. The angler will set the hook when he/she decides the fish has inhaled it sufficiently for a hook set. So if using a fly set up, the fly must be heavily scented and have limited motion,lying on or just off the bottom, and rod must be "freaking powerful!" Personally, I don't think fly gear is very practical, for sturgeon. Just my 2 cents.