A dozen cedar-strip canoes! Wow - I envy you! I'm new to working with wood-strip canoes; thanks for letting me know that you've found them to be restore-able.

I don't know the history of my canoe. It looks a lot like a 15' version of the "Puddle Duck" from Gil Gilpatric's book. I'm pretty sure the wood strips are redwood, and the boat looks to be maybe 30-years old.

Interestingly, there are boxes built into the bow and stern filled with flotation foam, which apparently got wet and expanded, which warped the tops. The boxes are also built with the wood strips in a pretty herringbone pattern. I'll need to cut those tops away and re-flatten or replace them since I want to keep the flotation feature.

I'm debating whether or not I want to make caned seats. The old seats on the canoe simply used lawn-chair plastic webbing. I'm planning on paddling from a kneeling position using it solo.

It weighs about 100# - not light by any means. There's no carry yoke or thwarts; I imagine it would be a good idea to add one.

I'm happy to be finally starting on this project. There's something enchanting about the flowing lines of these wood-strip canoes!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by white43
Welcome. I've restored a couple and have built ten cedar strip canoes, all from the same pattern. Plus I've "restored" my original three different times. Man these things are resiliant. JGW