I'm sorry, but how can anyone say that someone's truly trying to "intentionally fish for ..." any kind of fish? I mean, most fish will take different kinds of bait, won't they (and yes, a fly is another kind of bait, for those who deny it )? You may fish with a fly that the local Bull's love, but perhaps, in your experience, the Cutt's love that fly, too. I mean, if you read the Warm Water column, how many times has Rick Z. used flies that he catches Crappie on, but comes away with no Crappie, but a mess of BG's. How many other fisherman, besides Rick and I are out intentionally fishing for one species, but catch another? I can't see how anyone can be caught "intentionally" fishing for a specific species of fish, when multiple species of fish inhabit the same water. I can completely understand the idea that once you catch a fish that you are not allowed to keep, you return it to the water as fast as possible, and I can understand the idea of using only certain kinds of baits (such as dry fly only) for particular bodies of water or stretches of stream/river because some baits can be more harmful to a fish than others.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. I read his article last week, so I don't remember if he kept any Bull's, but as long as Dave kept no Bull's, regardless if he actually caught any, he has nothing to be ashamed of nor did he do anything illegal, IMHO.

Paul

PS. Sorry for being long winded. I'm just cornfused (sic).