Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
What do you intend to do with it? Refinish and use, or refinish and hang on the wall, hang on the wall as is, fish it as is, sell as is, refinish and sell? Lots of options.

Well, I'm definately going to keep it and fish with it. And I'll look into refinishing it. I don't want to do anything that will have the potential of messing it up though.

I got the fishing bug last year - bass fishing and catfishing with my sons.

And then this rod and reel (a Pfueger Medalist - model number 1495 1/2 DA) fell into my life and I got interested in the trout.

I got a friend to take me to the Little Red River here in Arkansas and give me some pointers and instruction on casting, and have been practicing that. I've been fishing with it a few times since then and have had a bit of success both on the Little Red and the White.

I have also been trouting on the Humber a couple of times when I've been in Newfoundland and caught a few.

It is a perfectly absorbing hobby, isn't it?

It combines several interesting aspects: The gearhead part of me loves obsessing over the mechanical bits, the adrenaline rush of a fish hitting a fly and trying to land him, the hope that everytime you go out you'll catch a big one, hitting the river just as the sun is coming up and reveling in the beauty of the world and I have to say that the trout are a pretty tasty meal.

Here are another couple of bits of info about the rod:

It was already old when my F-I-L's rich girlfriend bought it for him and was very expensive even then, and it was almost certainly bought in 1981 in Scotland.

What is so special about the reel seat?