Some of the best Southern California fly fishing is in the ocean (surf, bays, inshore, bluewater) and in many of the lakes for bass, panfish, and during the winter, stocked trout.

The San Diego county area has some tiny, fragile, streams with wild trout that are very difficult to get to. You won't find much info on those and people are tight lipped about them with good reason.

Closer to the greater Los Angeles area you will find a number of trout waters of varying quality within an hour or two drive, or less.

In the mountain areas near San Bernardino you will find Deep Creek, Bear Creek, and the Santa Ana River. There are some tiny streams on Mt San Jacinto including the San Jacinto River. San Antonio Creek is in the Mt. Baldy area and the San Gabrial River can be accessed off of Highway 39 north of Azusa. Piru Creek is in Ventura County North of Los Angeles and west of I-5. Sespe Creek, also in Ventura County, is near Santa Paula and Ojai. I have not fished any of these waters so I don't have specific information, but it is not hard to come by. The book "Fly Fishing Southern California Lakes and Streams" by Richard Alden Bean is a great resource. They will most likely have this book at Bob Marriotts.

For most of my So. Cal fly fishing I stick to the saltwater and bass and panfish since there are so many close opportunities and head for the Sierra for trout. However a great many anglers take advantage of the opportunities that those streams provide.

You also may want to check out other 'nearby' fly shops such as "The Fisherman's Spot" in Van Nuys, "His and Hers Fly Shop" in Costa Mesa, and the Orvis store in Pasadena.