+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8' or 8 1/2 '????

Default 8' or 8 1/2 '????

i am looking for a 5w rod to fish in the small streams for brookies and panfish. the rod i have right now is 8 1/2 feet in length (7-8w). I am wondering if i should go with the 8' over the 8 1/2. i would just get another 8 1/2 but some of these trout streams are very tight in areas.

thanks nate

For what it's worth, my small stream/panfish rod is an 8' 5wt, that seems to do the job quite nicely.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Having now fly fished for over a dozen years, I think i've just arrived at what might be the best all around fly rod for trout and panfish~an 8' 4wt. I too fish small streams, an like the flexibility of chucking streamers from time to time. The only times a 9' wins over an 8' for me is in windy conditions, when I need distance, or when i'm in deep water. (float tube etc.)

I agree with thezugbug, 8' 4 wt is ideal for speckles, just caught a beautiful 2.5 lb male,hooked jaw and all, at the cottage on the weekend with mine, using an Allies Favourite streamer. The lighter the outfit the greater the challenge.

new2fly - I like a 5 wt and since I cut my eye teeth with an 8' rod, that combination is about my favorite rod for stream fishing. Also have a 5 wt, 9' rod that I use for stillwater fishing and especially fishing from the canoe; can get a little more distance with this rod.

Do have other weight rods in other lengths, 7 1/2', 8 1/2' and 9' - but I just like the handiness and familiarity of an 8' rod.

Dale

.....dlacelle...can I come to your cottage?

I like 9ft for an all around rod.

It can be worked on the smallest streams and tight areas. It's also a lot easier to just drop a fly in a small spot on the stream without even casting.

btw, I have a 9' 5wt rod and reel for sale, but it didn't influence my opinion. )

Ken

New2,

There are a several ways to look at dealing with congested casting areas.

Shorter rods will allow you more 'swing room' in tight areas. Longer rods allow more 'reach' for flicking flies into tight places and over/through/under thick brush.

I have and use both a 6' 6" 2 wt. and a 9' 3 wt. for small streams, depending on the stream and my mood for the day.

Both work well in tight quarters, they just work differently.

The 6" difference between an 8 and an 8 1/2 is negligible in any event. Buy the rod that feels best to you.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:2b57d]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:2b57d]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

new2fly:

For me, to answer you question and provide some advice, I would need to know how small are you streams you fish and the size of the flies you use. If the streams are real narrow, you may want less than 8' in length. As a "hobby" rod builder, I have built several fly rods in the 6'6" TO 8' range for friends who fish small streams. The most popular size has been a 7'6" 4wt.

In terms of rod weight, it seems to me unless you are throwing big bugs, you need to come down from your 7-8wt to something in the 3-5wt range.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

I agree that when you are dealing in tight quarters you won't notice the difference of six inches. I personally prefer a longer rod because it makes it a little easier to sit back a bit when I'm fishing, and it also helps to keep line off the water for the pocket water that is usually present in smaller streams. if you get into a position where you really need a short rod, all you need do is break the rod down in half, and use the mid to tip portion of the rod only. You aren't gonna need a reel so that won't really matter and you'll feel a little funny, but it works.

Tight lines
    Jeff

+ Reply to Thread