Retrieve rate is determined by the depth of line on the reel measured from the center of the spool spindle. This depth is essentially the radius (r) of a circle. Retrieve rate per revolution is Pi * 2r.

As line comes off the reel, r shrinks, and so does retrieve rate. With a wider spool, r shrinks slower. So a larger, wider reel produces a faster retrieve rate compared to a smaller and or narrower reel.

So arbor size in and of itself does not dictate retrieve rate. However a larger diameter, wider reel with large arbor can have the same backing capacity of a smaller narrower reel with small arbor.

So you may also want to consider a larger diameter reel with standard arbor than you are accustomed to using also.

When I shop for a reel, I set a budget, then I look for diameter and width first, then backing capacity. Sometimes I end up with a large arbor and sometimes a small arbor.

To make a specific suggest as to a reel, we need an idea of what you may be fishing for. My recommendations would be different for trout, stripers, and tuna for instance.

However for light saltwater, stripers, and most freshwater, the Cortland Endurance and Redinton SV are a couple of nice reels for around $100.

Also, Ross Worldwide has redesigned the Flywater and Flycast reels as large arbor reels for this year. These would suit just about any freshwater situation and run from about $70 to $110 or so.