Well, obviously, tons of questions should generate tons of answers..and opinions as well.

My question is about varnish. I had read somewhere to apply a few coats before I wrap my guides. Is this suggested?

there will be varied opinions on this process and supporting reasoning behind each I am sure. a lot of rodmakers will put a couple of coats of varnish on prior to wrapping, but they will be very thin coats that are designed to protect the bamboo. Others will wrap the rod and basically build it out completely prior to dipping, and the thought process is that it will seal the construction of the rod to inhibit moisture from the exposure that the rod will get during fishing.

There are also a lot of rod builders that use brush on or wipe on techniques that produce some really nice finishes as well. I see it as a comfort index with the finished product inasfar as the application of the finish goes.

Personally, and I am not saying that mine is the right way, I will completely build the rod and in the process will give the wraps 4 or 5 coats of the varnish after wrapping but before dipping. That allows me to inspect the wraps very carefully to ensure that any fuzzies, or blemishes are removed prior to dipping. After the first trip through the dip tube, I will dry it in the drying cabinet for 3 or 4 days, then inspect the finish to see if there are any blemishes in it that I can remove with 2000 or 2500 grit sandpaper, swirl remover and polish, and then decide if it gets another dip or not. Sometimes no, most of the time yes. I see the dipping of the entire build as a very good protective coating that seals the rod completely against moisture and the elements and adds years to its life. I have restored a ton of rods that had very very bad stains of the bamboo from being exposed to the moisture and I am certain that had they been completely dipped, they wouldn't have been that way.

Once again, that is only my opinion, and certainly not that of a pro, I would be interested in seeing what Splinter, Oyster, Boyd or even Mimke Brooks had to say about the process. I would also be interested in seeing what Ron Kusse has to say about it, and it might be a good topic for discussion in the chat room sometime. If it's Kusse's way, it has to be the right way!!