The strangest thing I ever hooked was one of MY fishing rods.
For the second year in a row, our family was split into two rental boats at Paulina Lake.
I had loaned a rod to my brother in the second boat.
I felt safe about doing this because he had lost one of my rods overboard the year before and it could never happen again! could it?
We had started fishing and everything was going fine and I heard my nephew in boat two, yell something.
I could hardly believe my ears! My brother had lost another of my rods overboard!
It was like someone threw a bucket of cold water on our fishing trip because both boats got real quiet.
I was not upset about losing my rod, so I decided to lighten the mood by doing something funny.
I cast my line towards the 2nd boat and landed it RIGHT in front of my Dad. I said "DAD IS THAT WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN CATCHING ALL YOUR FISH?"
All of a sudden, I had a fish on!!!
As I was reeling it in, I caught sight of the trout.
It got stuck somehow and I decided to hand line the fish in the rest of the way.
I pulled and pulled the line. The trout wiggled off the line, but I was still hooked on something.
It was like I had snagged something on the bottom of the lake.
Whatever it was, was coming straight up from the bottom. I had hooked and landed MY rod, that my brother had lost in the 2nd boat!!!!!
I was so happy!!! My rod had come back from the dead!
The hook that I used was a size 14 egg hook.
Doug