Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
If that were the case realistic patterns would produce better than standard nymphs. I am not aware of this being the case, but I could be wrong. I suppose if you can calculate the exact body density of each individual nymph. Not to mention species. And, get it/them to tumble exactly as a natural would while attached to your tippet, you would be on to something. I do not see many realistic patterns winning trout competitions. I do see a lot of generic attractors winning though. There comes a point when the fisherman is caught by the pattern and not the trout.

As I said, I haven't made up my mind on this concept yet. I'm not talking about the "super realistic" nymph patterns v. "In the round", just ones with a simple wing case.....similar to those in AlanB's photo above on the right.
Guess I'm still trying to find the advantage of a single-sided view v. The natural? Would a nymph pattern with wing cases on top and bottom be good?
I certainly agree that there would be a little time saved in tying " in the round", but the other advantage(s)?