+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry and dropper swap

My flies are done I need addy to send them out to. Thanks Matt

------------------
    To each there own !

ontario steelheader,

Any dropper will do, larvae or otherwise. There's no restriction on hook style.

6 spots left. I would like to see this one fill up. Any takers??

Received flies from Matt (stonefly71) on saturday. Nice looking cream dry and blue bead dropper. Sign-ups close tomorrow.

Hi all,

Just a FYI, I decided to change my dry to a Goddard caddis. I like the Goddard as a dry for the dropper system since it floats so well. The beadhead will remain the same. I whipped out a couple of Goddard tonight and most came out OK. Like Tom Anderson said on Beavis and Butthead, "It's not what ya' cut, it's what ya don't cut..."

L

[This message has been edited by Lonnie (edited 29 November 2004).]

Lonnie,

No problem on the switch. How do you trim your Goddard caddis? I am looking for a good pair of scissors to do this.

Thanks

Me Too!

As I found out last night, you really need very sharp and very fine scissors to make them look really good. The ones I was using last night weren't cutting it (pun intended). I'm going to try and pick up a good pair of Dr. Slicks sometime this week.

The other 1/2 of the equation is good spinning hair. I'm using antelope for these. It's very compressible and very pliable. The downside is it's pretty brittle. On the Goddard it dosen't really matter since you trim it so close. It's also super important that you pack it really tight towards the hook shank. It helps give it the "right" look.

I'm also debating the worth of time/effort of putting on the antenna on these. I generally cut them off before I tie them on anyway. The look better but unless you are fishing the long horned caddis (Leptoceridae) hatch I don't think they make much of a difference in how they catch fish. They also makes it really difficult to get the hackle to look right and to get a good head wrapped.

[This message has been edited by Lonnie (edited 30 November 2004).]

I find a double edged razor blade to be very good for most of trimming on a Goddard Caddis. Antelope hair is a smart choice.

I will tie a deer hair dry with a midge pupae. It has worked great for me on bluegills and bass and crappie.

I would like to join in on the swap if there is room. I'll tie a Stimulator and a Bead-Headed Prince. Since this is what I caught my first fish on fly fishing this past fall.

------------------
    "Life's journey is not to arrive in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, "Shouting ...Holy ****...what a ride!"
    "Life's journey is not to arrive in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, "Shouting....Holy S**t....what a ride!"

Not As Lean Not As Mean But Still a Marine - Marine Your Best Friend Your Worst Enemy

+ Reply to Thread