+ Reply to Thread

Thread: inflatable boat/raft

Default inflatable boat/raft

How many use an inflatable raft/boat for fishing. I am thinking about buying the inflatable raft from bass pro shop for $215.00 for my son and I.
    vistin

Blog Entries

Visitin I would consider a canoe or a Kayak over a raft, especialy if you plan on using human power to move it along. However if the raft had a hard floor and the ability to attach a motor then I would consider that. Just my opinion, I find the thinner craft easyer to move around. I found my canoe used for $125. and saw one today for 150 in the local paper. look around there are bargins to be had

Eric

------------------
    Tis bettter to have hooked and lost, than never hooked at all.

[This message has been edited by Eric-WD (edited 01 June 2006).]
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

vistin;
    First welcome to the best place on the net for the flyfisherman. Come on and check out the Chat room some evening.
    If it's ok with you I'd like to ride along on this post. I've alway's had a fear of puncture's and worry about the inexpensive inflatables. There's some really nice ones out there!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Jack, I recently ordered the Sea Eagle catalog online, and they sent sample pieces of their two fabrics. I worked on them with a shaving sharp pocket knife, and they were dang hard to puncture or cut, even with an excellent blade. I'd not worry about them.

My opinion is mine please realize trial and error are probably the best teachers. Fishing by myself I like a float tube. Easily portable and mobile. When fishing with family I use a 17' white water canoe that is very stable,but a pain to load and carry. Another advantage is the fact that in a canoe or a boat you are a little higher and for children it's easier to cast from above the water than sitting in it.

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

Hey Vistin,
    I use an inflatable kayak(Airhead TK1 from Cabelas) and I love it. Inflatables can run from cheap (some of the Seyvlor boats) to the expensive (Sea Eagle) and each has different qualities. I recomend that you check the type of water that this boat you are thinking of getting is classified for. My kayak is classified up to small whitewater, and it is even cheap. You can get a lot of boat for a little cash if you look around. We have a disscussion going on various types of watercraft in the thread entitled Kayak Flyfishing (original and #2). In my first post I listed a number of great qualities that inflatables have. These are things like portablity, easy storage, and adaptability. The important thing to remember with inflatables is that many of the after market add ons availible to hardshell boat will not be practical for a blow up boat since you can't drill holes in it. As far as duribility my kayak is tough, and being a soldier I use my equipment to the full extent. You mentioned that this boat was for yourself and your son. If your son a little older you may want to consider buying two boats due to the decreased cost of inflatables, so that he can learn about how to navigate. Hope to see you on the thread I mentioned earlier (also anyone else). Well have to go.
    Sarge.

------------------
    The enemy was many and they were but few,
    But they stormed the gates of hell with glory in their eyes,
    For tonight they sleep in Valhalla.

I have used an inflatable Sea Eagle 9 for the past three years. It works very nicely for us. We use a 52lb electric motor and it gets around the small lakes nicely. It has wooden floorboards and we now have swivel seats we use. We can inflate and be on the water in about 20 minutes. Same for takedown. I keep the boat and accessories in my vehicle all the time and we are ready to pop into any water at any time. We have caused two small holes through improper handling (allowing a sharp object to near the boat during storage). The holes patched easily and the patches have stayed with no problem. We have been very pleased, it has given us access to fishing areas and many hours of enjoyment every year.

Good Luck!

Rg

Hey Folks,
    Sarge again. I just posted some pics. of my Inflatable kayak under kayak flyfishing 2. Come check them out and join our thread. We are trying to get enough interest to get a watercraft section started for this site. Talk to yall later.
    Sarge.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I used to fish out of a raft, and I still have an inflatable kayak, although I never use it anymore..

You'll be happier with a real canoe or kayak. Inflatables (except for belly-boats, which are wonderful) are a pain to handle and not worth the trouble, in my opinion.

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread