+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: micro jigs> ya'll use 'em?

Default micro jigs> ya'll use 'em?

did up some for a swap:

1/32 oz curley tails on ultra lite equip use to be my favorite, with the flyrod hope the micro jig can match it.

like to see any of your microjig patterns>

I have tried a small jig on the flyrod before. All I can say is be prepared to duck in a hurry. Those suckers hurt coming of the back of your head.

Nice jigs by the way.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

casting with a bit of a sidearm helps some, but boy do the bang the canoe if you're a bit late on the fore cast. Otherwise, not much difference than Clousers, Gill Busters or any of the other front-weighted flies. Nice looking flies. JGW

Yep. I do use them sometimes. Don't have a pic of one but I do basically the same thing as you on a 1/32 oz. (mini) on the ultra light or smaller ones (micro) on the fly rod usually without the hackle collar. I use some gray marabou or gray hackle barbs for the tail and pearl braid body. That's all. I don't even paint the head. Specks especially go for them .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 23 January 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Do you all tie on the jig hooks so that the materials are on the side of the hook opposite the eye...as in the pictures?

Blog Entries

and if there is any interest, smaller sizes, 1/64th and 1/128 oz. are available.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:fac02]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:fac02]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

I depends on whether the fly is "sidded"

If you did a nymph with a wing case the wing case needs to be on the 'gape' side of the hook since that will be 'up' when the micro is used. The legs need to be on the other side.

Sometimes tying "upside down" is aggravating since the hook point seems gets in the way more often. the vise jaws can be a problem too since they are now on the part of the hook where you may have to tie something (tail)

If you are doing a pattern which is non- dirctional (like a wooly bugger) it would not make any difference how you held the micro in the vise.

[This message has been edited by zzdruid (edited 23 January 2006).]

[This message has been edited by zzdruid (edited 23 January 2006).]

There was a swap last year for plastic-using flies...yours below would've fit right in. A couple of folks in the swap used traditional ultra-light bodies (but not the jig heads).

If you want to see that thread, here's the link:

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/000435.html:d045a]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/000435.html[/url:d045a]

Page 2 has a step by step tutorial from nowindknots on building the fly he tied for the swap. There should also be a link to a step by step for the fly I tied (but I didn't create that tutorial).

Nice looking flies. How well do they work for you?

I know some guys that fish the mini-jigs in still water for trout, under a big indicator.
    Too much like worm and bobber fishing for me, but they do very well with it.

------------------
    "Although prequalifed by virtue of their brain size, trout have no politics."
    J.A.Kassane
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

zzdruid:
    I use mini-jigs, as we call them, at Bennett Springs quite a lot. (sizes 1/80, 1/100, or 1/120)
    What do you use to paint the heads? I have found that jig head paint, after a day or two of hard fishing, quickly chips or flakes off. I use fingernail polish, coated with another topcoat of clear fingernail polish. This application makes the jigs nearly indestructible.

The only 2 problems that I've had are: 1.Finding the right color of polish (a few local patterns call for some tough-to-find colors) and
    2. Making myself waltz down that fingernail polish asile at Wal Mart.

+ Reply to Thread