+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exotics.....

Default Exotics.....

Now, every state, everywhere has it's share of exotics. As of late, I've had many encounters with this one mean, ugly fish. 'Snake-heads'. As far as I understand, these things come from Asia, and are a popular food item. Down here in S. Florida, we have a slight problem with them; One I've noticed grow unspoken..
    In any body of water I've caught these 'Snake-heads' in, there has been very few other fish, if any. They seem to drive out other fish populations.
    Example:
    This morning I went fishing at a canal running parrallel to a highway which happens to border the Everglades. This canal usually boasts a strong host of bass, both spotted and black, tilapia, 'gills, gars, and grass carp. This morning, however, there was a lack of activity out on the water. Juvenile bass and various sun fishes could be seen, and I happened to see a rather HUGE alligator gar, but that was IT.
    After varying retrieves and flies for about an hour, I was rewarded a vicious strike at the surface from some large fish. Thinking I had a large bass on, I was extremely pleased. The fish turned out to be a 'Snake-head', roughly 6 pounds as judged by my hand.
    I caught several others of the same size, each about 100 yards apart. Now, I claim to be no genious, but this could spell problems in the future for S. Florida.
    I apologize for the lengthy post, but I had to get it out..
    Anyone else got an 'exotic' story?
    I took pictures of one I caught if anyone would like to see.

[This message has been edited by Florida Fly (edited 13 November 2005).]

Introduced invasive species are a problem for sure and it seems to be getting worse, not better. They usually displace and/or destroy the native species and have no natural predators so their numbers quickly get out of hand. There are a number of ways they get into the water system some unintentional and some intentional. Either way the State of Florida pays for it. Miami Metro Dade in South Florida seems to be the worst about it. Fortunately for the rest of the state most of the invasive species that get into the state water system can't survive above the the Southern tip of Florida due to colder weather northward. The only intentional species I know of that were introduced was the Peacock (Butterfly) Bass and Grass Carp I think (check FWC web-site). That's it. All the rest are here illegally and there are a lot. I have caught a Mayan Cichlid before that was a little too far north last season because of the unusually hot water temperature but they just can't survive the cold up here this far north.

FWC Fish ID (native and non-native species):
    [url=http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/index.html:31438]http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/index.html[/url:31438]

Mayan Cichlid:
    [url=http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/non-native.html#mayan:31438]http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/non-native.html#mayan[/url:31438]

We have an invasive foreign snail threat to our lakes that occurred in Polk County. It seems an exotic fish farm was responsible for the accident but the snails will probably move southward. Our lakes will most likely have to be reconstituted after the snails have eaten all the vegitation. I posted on this earlier in this forum and you can find it in the archives.

Like most other exotic invasive species in this state, I don't think snakeheads can survive cold weather so they will most likely stay south. If the FWC can't eradicate them, they may just let them "run their course" so their food supply dries up and they die, then reconstitution can begin. I'm just guessing, its best to contact the FWC to find out about them. I haven't seen anything on the web-site yet about snakeheads but it might be there somewhere. There is not much that I know you can do about it except campaign against invasive species in your local government and educate others to the dangers of releasing foreign species into the state.

FWC main site:
    [url=http://www.myfwc.com/:31438]http://www.myfwc.com/[/url:31438]

I found it. Snakehead:
    [url=http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/non-native.html#SNAKEHEAD:31438]http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/non-native.html#SNAKEHEAD[/url:31438]

Bad news for the southern half of the state. They really don't know what the long-term effects of the snakehead on native species will be.

"There is relatively little information on the life histories and ecology of most fish species from tropical Asia," Shafland said. " As a result, useful information about how these fishes may interact with native species is sparse and some of it, especially in older sources, is suspect. Snakeheads have been described as being extremely aggressive and voracious, but based on our personal observations the species collected in Florida appears to be one of the less aggressive species of snakeheads. "Our initial stomach content evaluations showed that more than 50 percent of their food consisted of crayfish," said Kelly Gestring, an FWC research scientist at Boca Raton."Now that could in the long run have an effect on other species that feed on crayfish, but it's far too early to know what, if any effects this new exotic fish will ultimately have." When forced to speculate on what effects the snakehead might have on native fishes, Shafland said that, "If there are any effects, these would most likely involve the bowfin (mudfish) since snakehead and bowfin share more than just general appearances. Both of these species are also predators that seem to have similar habitat and food preferences, and both can utilize air to survive in waters with little to no oxygen." Some of the literature on the snakeheads suggest this fish can reach lengths of four feet, although Shafland is skeptical.
    "Obviously we need to do more to educate the public about the serious ecological consequences that the illegal release of exotic species represent." Shafland pointed out that once a fish species is reproducing in the open water systems of south Florida, it is impossible to eradicate them. Preventing the illegal introduction of exotics in the first place is really the only viable tactic along with educating anglers, aquarists, and others about the illegality of dumping and/or transferring exotic fish from one water body to another.The Boca Raton scientist stated that the cooperation and assistance of knowledgeable anglers in identifying exotics is invaluable. "Our agency just doesn't have the staff and the resources to monitor every square foot of fresh water contained in Florida's numerous lakes, streams, rivers, canals, and impoundments," he said. "Anglers are often the first to detect the presence of an exotic fish, and we often depend on their reports." Since the first snakehead was caught in October, FWC scientists at the Boca Lab have initiated a comprehensive effort to determine their distribution, relative abundance, temperature tolerance, and associations with native fish. Food habits, habitat preferences, and reproduction will also be closely studied. Shafland praised Newland for taking the time and effort to report catching what appeared to be a rather strange looking bowfin."Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes once an exotic fish begins reproducing and these studies will require several years to complete," Shafland said. "We have already completed some preliminary temperature tolerance studies that indicate this snakehead cannot live in water temperatures below 50 degrees. "This is good news and bad news," he said. "The good news is that snakeheads will be largely limited to the southern half of Florida due to lower winter temperatures farther north. The bad news is that much of southern Florida likely provides suitable habitat for this undesirable fish to establish a permanent home in."
    ------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 14 November 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

3. Default

I did not read all of the above so what I say may be a repeat.
    As far as I know, all snakeheads caught are NOT supposed to be released under any circumstances. The best result would be to take the fish (on ice would be easiest, but watch those teeth if it is alive!) to a Fish and Wildlife department or at the very least report the problem to them.

Warmouth

Over here in Tallahasse we don't have snakeheads but we do have mudfish. Sometimes they're called bowfin. I think that they are native, but there are so many of them that they can be quite a nuisance. I think most people stab them just behind the gills and throw them back. They're nasty fish, and I can't stand them.

snakeheads are a problem here in md also. they have drains ponds, dynamited them, ect, in an attempt to get rid of them. the problem is they can walk across land to other bodies of water. they have even been caught in the potomac. if they ever make it to the chesapeake, it will be a shame for the striper population.
    although i wonder what would happen if a school of snakeheads ran into a school of blues?

------------------
    --------
    roger
    princess anne, eastern shore of md.
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

They meaning the snakeheads would die, if its salt water. They can live in brackish and fresh water. We have them here on Long Island, NY as well. Our DEC instructs anglers to destroy them if there caught.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Actually, all carp are introduced species, as are brown trout. The Carp came from asia in an effort to control lake vegetation and Brown Trout were brought from Scotland and Germany in the late 1800s. Bowfin are native, and they are actually quite good to eat. I've eaten many of them. The meat is white, very flaky and tends to be a bit dry, so use plenty of melted butter when broiling them. They are good fried, as well, but bear in mind, I also regularly eat carp and regard them as fine table fare when properly handled and prepared.

Another foreign immigrant is the Nutria. They resemble nothing more than a HUGE rat! But I have discovered that they are delicious and easy to dress out. When I get bored and can't fish, sometimes I'll take my black powder revolver to the lake and shoot a few for the freezer. Like beaver, there is no limit or season here in Ga., so it's essentially free food. I may try to shoot a few with my bow later.

I don't believe these foreign immigrants would be near as bad a problem if we would use them. Snakeheads are delicious table-fare and you should catch all you can and eat them. I am a retired Executive Chef. If anyone would like any recipes for any of these exotics, please feel free to e-mail me anytime. I'm thinking of publishing a new cookbook dedicated to under-used resources (Kudzu makes great greens).

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

you know, promoting them as good to eat is probably the best idea yet! having a snakehead derby with cooking demos and such as that. Or getting them more well known in the mainstream. of course there could be a downside of further importation/illegal release if it were to get "big".

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:2dac8]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:2dac8]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Hopefully you killed it....

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

It's been my experience that once something is 'here', it's here to stay. The best thing we can do is find a use for it. As I said before, Kudzu makes great greens, similar to Polk Salad and wild Broadleaf Greens. It grows so fast down south here that everyone could eat all they could hold every day and probably not even make a dent in the supply. Same thing with carp. I always have a few dozen in the freezer for gumbo and chowder. If I get in a bind on groceries, it's easy to nail some carp, beaver, nutria and kudzu. I've never worried about starving, and although I buy little at the store, I've not lost much weight! I recently used a snakehead in some sushi and it was great! Next time you catch one, e-mail me and I'll give you the recipe for a snakehead 'California' type sushi roll.

Here is a recipe you can use with any fish that is not poisonous (to eat)with a very few exceptions. Barracuda should never be eaten as they can be toxic. There are a few more, but most fish are edible to some degree. I originally developed this chowder for gar and carp, but it works equally well with canned mackeral or any cheap or 'trash' fish.

Fillet or de-bone your fish as good as possible, removing the skin, entrails and any red or discolored flesh. You need 2-3 lbs for this recipe. Boil the flesh in water with Old Bay Crab Boil until it is flaky. Strain through a wire strainer and check once more for any missed bones. Dice into small chunks and set aside to cool.

Saute 1/2 cup each of celery, onions and 2-3 cloves of minced garlic (or you can just add 1 tsp of garlic powder) until translucent. Set aside to cool.

In a large soup pot, heat up 1/2 cup oil over med-hi heat. Add 1/2 cup flour and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Add 2 cups chicken stock and 2 cups milk. Stir continously until desired thickness is reached (water or more milk can be added if needed). Add sauteed veggies, fish and 2 cans of whole kernal corn. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve in soup bowls or large turine. Just before serving, sprinkle a small amount of basil on top of each bowl full.. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Gigmaster (edited 04 December 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Gigmaster (edited 04 December 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread