+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8 Species

Default 8 Species

Had a thrill today, catching 8 w.w. species in a couple of hours. Hiked up to a "spillover" dam on the Nashua River in Massachusetts which I was able to do because the water downstream was so low. Fished knee-deep in the fast water in the spillway (if it were a coldwater fishery you'd expect rainbows in this fast water) where I caught one 10" smallmouth bass and eight very thick and strong 12-14" fallfish (we call 'em chubs) in the fast water on streamers. But when this slowed down I cast directly into the duckweed that covered the backeddie between the tongue of the fast water and the shore. What a thrill: one largemouth, two perch about 9-10", a bunch of blue gills, one red-ear sunfish, one crappie and four rock bass. I know readers of this bulletin board will appreciate the thrill this was...but many of my trout-fishing buddies would severely scorn me for casting my fly line into duck-weed covered water. But that is their loss *G*

BTW, the most effective fly was a small "conehead combo", which was published as a recent FOTW.

------------------
    Peter F [url=http://www.fishingwithflies.com:e3811]www.fishingwithflies.com[/url:e3811]
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Peter F (edited 21 August 2005).]

Sounds like a great fishing spot!!! Way to go Peter.

Norm

You have no idea how great it is to read your post. Many years ago I lived on the shore of the Nashua River when I was in military quarters on Fort Devens. The river used to run different colors each day, the color depending on what the paper mills in Fitchburg were making the day before. By the time I left the military (1986) great strides had been made to clean up the river. We even raced canoes on it every spring at the Nashua River Runoff. When I left New England in the early 90's the river was cleaner, but still not a fishing destination.

I am curious as to the location of the spillover dam. The only dams I remember are at the bridge on 2A between Ayer and Leominster, and the other in Groton by Rte 111.

Clint
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

+ Reply to Thread