+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Fishing?

Default Anybody Fishing?

The spawn is over here in Central OK. I have settled into fishing 2 mornings a week.
    We are on the water by a liitle before six am and off a little before ten am. We have been picking up 1 or 2 20+ inch bass per outing plus a myriad of channel cats , bluegills an an occational crappie.
    Last friday morning we we having a pretty normal normal outing until the rain started falling. Fifteen minutes latter we caught 2 bass and a good sized cat in rapid succession. The cat hit my fly on the run and ran 10 feet before I could set the hook. We were sure it was bass, it even fought like a bass but of course turned out to be a cat. It was like the dinner bell went off. The fish in the lake seemed desperate to eat as much possible. I have never seen any thing likle it. What a hoot!.
    Needless to say we did not leave at 10 am.
    I work out of my house so I have flexible hours , but I still have to work.
    By 3:30 I had to pry myself away. The rain hadc stopped or I might not have. the last
    fish we caught stomachs were bulging with food absolutely stuffed.It has been the best spring and early summer I can remember
    So is anybody else fishing?

I tried on a canal late this afternoon and not one bite. Too hot . 92 in the shade about 9 or 10 a.m. so it was a lot hotter this afternoon. Very early in the morning or very late in the evening is probably the best time here right now when the fish are most active.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Just returned from today's outing. I went to a small creek and using a 3 wt rod caught maybe 15 brookies around 9 -11 inches. On the way home stopped at a small reservoir that is loaded with bluegills & pumpkinseed. Using the same rod and flies I caught maybe 60 gills and a few bass in about and hour and a half.

What prompted this post is that after I left the bluegill hole I reflected on today's fishing and decided that those 7 inch gills were twice as fiesty as those brookies. They put a pretty good bend in that light rod. I find myself gravitating more and more to warm water fish instead of trout fishing.

Tim Anderson, Klamath Falls, OR

Panman -
    I totally agree with you concerning bluegills. Last Sat a friend and I were catching 'em up to 10 1/2" ON A TWO WEIGHT!!! Our small fish were 8". I caught 40-50 of the bad boys. That size bluegill on a 2 wgt is unbelievable! If you tied a trout [or bass] tail-to-tail with a bluegill on a size-for-size basis the bluegill would drag them fishies all over the lake. By the way, once the temps got up to 70d/daytime, AND DIDN'T DROP BELOW HIGH 40's at night the fishing has been very, very good here in Indiana. It was a long slow warm-up, tho.

Donald

Got out yesterday and got into some very light biting crappie.

Managed to get a good nujber and outfished the other four folks that were there.

Nothing like last weekend though.

I am afraid that I am being a bad influence on panman though.
    He is doing more warmwater since we have become friends.

Rick

Blog Entries

Took my son out to Towne Lake (the one in McKinney, not the one in Austin) where he pulled in five bluegills before the rain started. I wimped out and pulled the plug, he was more than content to stay and fish in the rain. I am the buzzkill daddy

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:268ce]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:268ce]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Wish I was. Saturday had a bunch of grad parties to go to, including one for all of our exchange students. Today I cover graduation for the paper and more of the above. Then it's off to three towns tomorrow to cover Memorial Day services. Got some gardening stuff done, though, between the obligations. When you have to drive a minimum of 30 minutes to get to the edge of the closest water days like these mean fishless. JGW

My buddy called me last week one evening and said you had better get over here and bring your lightest rod, I have caught 6 fish on 6 casts. He was calling me from a golf course that he is a member of. The golf course is closed one day a week and he often fishes one of the ponds before he plays tennis.
    This particular evening we fished one of the
    run off inlets. It is all rocked in to prevent erosion. The blue gills , warmouth and crappie were absolutely thick. We caught fish essentially every other cast for 2 hours without moving. The fish were stunted and small but it was still a good change up. Six or seven of the fish would have been of keeping size had we been so inclined. As darkness approached we fished our way along the bank catching fish as we went.
    The only thing that seemed to make a difference besides the size of the fly was the rate at which it sank. A slow sinking fly was best. I used a small bonefish bitter as my third fly( the first 2 were shredded )and it seemed both durable and deadly.

Hey Rick,

At least Tim isn't using the T word as much as he used to . Just teasing you, Tim.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I'm spoiled. I have a nice little pond about 50 yards from the house full of little munchkin bluegills.I always get a kick when the local kids wander by and see me pulling them in on a little Hare's Ear. I went over there at around 8pm and caught several. I'm going to tie on a dry fly tomorrow. I love it!!

+ Reply to Thread