+ Reply to Thread

Thread: **Jacksonville, Florida Bound!!!!**

Default **Jacksonville, Florida Bound!!!!**

I will be in Jacksonville, FL. next week April 19th through 22nd. Can someone from the area give me some pointers on where I can fish? Or maybe someone might like to even do a little fishing those days!! LET ME KNOW!!!

There are a number of places to fish in the area. A canoe or kayak will get you into some of the best spots.

There are some decent places to wade fish too. But there are mostly mud flats around the area which limit wading.

Talbot Island State Park is a good place to start, you can launch a boat there and wade fish.

Will you have a boat or do you plan to wade fish?

------------------
    "Water is the elixir of life; without it life is not possible" C.W. Fetter, Hydrogeologist

I will be flying in and won't have a boat. I know little about fly fishing having only fished for a little over a year. I also know nothing about JACKSONVILLE! I would really love to fish the salt water though. I 've also heard a lot about your Peacock Bass. I would love to get one of those. I'll need all the help I can get. Shoot me an email and I will give you a number to reach me and perhaps we can talk.

Thanks!!

will so

Those peacock bass you're looking for occur mostly in South Florida, around the Miami area. In the Jacksonville area, the best fight you'll likely find this time of year is redfish.

To clear up a misconception, there have been a number of posts about (Butterfly) Peacock Bass from anglers in South Florida but this exotic or non-native species does not occur in Florida state-wide. According to the FWC, this species is found in the Miami Metro-Dade Broward county areas. The FWC further states that most of these exotics (non-native) like Cichlids, Oscars, etc. are in the Miami Metro-Dade Broward county areas of South Florida with Mayan Cichlids as far north as Okeechobee. The Grass Carp and Suckerfish seem to be more widely distributed across the state where introduced while the Common Carp tends to occur more in North Florida. The main reason most of these exotics are not found north of South Florida as stated by the FWC is that water temperatures are lower (colder) farther north and cannot tolerate colder water temperatures since some are mostly native to warmer climates of South and Central America and parts of Asia (some from parts of Russia or elsewhere).

For more on exotic or other Florida fish species (both salt and fresh) visit [url=http://myfwc.com/:83187]http://myfwc.com/[/url:83187]
    It is well worth your time to look at this web-site and learn about Florida fish species especially if you plan on fishing here.

For exotics: [url=http://myfwc.com/fishing/Fishes/non-native.html:83187]http://myfwc.com/fishing/Fishes/non-native.html[/url:83187]

I don't know about the fishing in Jacksonville but I hope this helps. Best of luck. These folks here at FAOL can definately set you on the right track as you learn more about fly fishing.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 14 April 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

You may want to try to hook up with a guide while in Jacksonville. My brother and I fished once with Capt. Russell Tharin (http://www.flyfishingameliaisland.com/). He is a good guy and knows the area well. The Salty Feather is the local flyshop in Jacksonville (www.saltyfeather.com); they can offer advice and have guides as well.

I don't have a lot of experience fly fishing in Jacksonville but understand that the Talbot Island parks (Little and Big Talbot Islands) offer some opportunities. There are spots along the intercoastal as well. Wish I had more specifics but the only times I have fished saltwater in Jacksonville have been on a boat. If you do find some spots, please let me know - I've got family in Jacksonville and get back there a few times a year.

Take a look at [url=http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com:36b92]www.jaxkayakfishing.com[/url:36b92] it's a good local site with a lot of info and possibly a rental with local knowledge. If nothing else a great day on some nice waters. You can also move right up to Amelia Island, same deal.

allen,
    shoot me an e mail. i live here in jax.

tony

barrettac@comcast.net

Hey Tony!! I sent the email a second ago, even before I saw your post. It dawned on me that you were there!! Also, PG may be able to fish too!! This is going to be like a mini fish-in!!

Also, thanks to all you other great anglers for you help and advice. I have never fished with a guide before. It would be nice I am sure. Unfortunately I don't have the bucks to spare. Plus with guys like Tony B. and PG, the fish will follow me home!! Anyone else out there is welcome to come too!!!!

I will email you guys with my flight schedule when I get back in my office.

Oh yes, to the guy who gave the short thesis on Peacock Bass, man that was impressive!! This board is totally amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread