+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where There's Smoke

Default Where There's Smoke

Joe

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were fishing the same lake that Rick Z fishes. Sounds like something or someone he'd run into. Anyway, good story. Nice to read that those blue gills kept you occupied.

Off topic, but the gills are starting to turn on up here in Central IA. Caught two large ones yesterday afternoon. Both were in the 9" to 10" range with big shoulders.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The part that I can't believe is that he was using something that was not a Hares Ear.

Maybe we are starting to influence him a little.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick Z (edited 20 April 2005).]

You know Rick you might be right. Took him long enough *G* Now when he starts fishing black/olive woolly buggers, then he has arrived. *S*
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

What are those?

Rick

Okay Rick I'll come clean. Yesterday afternoon I was fishing my favorite blue gill pond. The two monsters I caught came on a Bead Head Peacock Sword Nymph. Black ostrich herl with a green mallard hackle. In all honesty I never tried the WB.

WOW
    you not using a bugger and Joe not using a Hares Ear.

The world may come to an end.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick Z (edited 20 April 2005).]

Well, fellas, in my own defense I should point out that carrying a second fly rod in my canoe (which I do now) has given me the luxury of considering non-Hares Ear nymph offerings. It's a strange feeling but I'm gradually getting used to having the option.

As for the PTN tandem used in that story, I only did that because my #10 solo HE was sinking too quick in the 18-inch deep water, and getting hung up too much. The #16 PTNs, being lighter, ran shallower. And the way those PTN's were tied, someone had given them close to the same body mass as a #10 HE. So I doubled them up and it worked great.

VERY nerve-racking business, using a tandem rig in stick-filled shallows. I lost some good nymphs that day, and I hate losing gear.

Coming soon, probably, maybe, and don't hold your breath: I try using (gasp!) a floating insect imitator to catch surfacing crappies.

Joe

"Better small than not at all."

Easy now Joe. Change is good. But so much so soon? *G*

Just when I thought I was being a good influece on Joe and getting him to broaden his horizons. Guess I will have to keep trying.

I am not sure we can get anglerdave to make that many changes at one time. He didn't even want to use my flies when he came fishing with me.

Rick

Now Rick. I was just trying to be polite that's all. Besides, you know what a shy and quiet fellow I am. *G*

+ Reply to Thread