+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll. Name your favorite flyrod fish and make a case for

Gotta be gills/redear on the 3 wt, but a 1 wt is coming in the next year or so...also, I read about the Rio Grande perch years ago & they are a beautiful fish...some day I'm gonna get one of those!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Trouts!
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Hey Robert,

Without doubt, schoolie dolphin on the
    6 weight offshore. The guys laughed at me
    when I brought the rod along. We trolled
    by a floating pallet offshore and picked up
    a couple of schoolies on feathered lures.
    I rigged the flyrod and hooked up on the
    first cast. After that the guys were
    fighting over who was next on the flyrod.
    What a hoot. You'd have sworn those dolphin
    had wings. They spent more time in the
    air than most birds.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Robert, you know the fish, and you've experienced the case for it!

I can make arguments for a lot of species, and each are individual passions. However, if I were down to "last wish" options I'd take the explosion of a largemouth on a diver. I mean, I almost expect hits from bluegill and crappies, even trout in the limited times I've fished for them. All of which makes it sound like I never get skunked. That's a laugh. Topwater largemouth explosions always affect me like when I was a kid watching a popup toaster or jack-in-the-box. You knew it was going to happen, yet you couldn't help jumping when it did. JGW

I admire the redbreast sunfish. You see, the redbreast is the STREAM sunfish, thus a superior fly rodding quarry.

The redbreast's popular cousin, the bluegill, is often lumped along with the largemouth bass and stillwater environments, and rightly so. The redbreast sunfish, in my opinion, falls on the side of the smallmouth bass and freestone streams.

True to its environment, this game panfish is sensitive to hatches of insects and will rise to the dry fly as readily as trout. Small streamers are great patterns, too.

One of the best ways for me to end a summer day is to drift an Adams, or an Elk Hair Caddis, or a Light Cahill along the surface of a small, warmwater, freestone stream. When that "SLUP" sound is heard, I know my rod is gonna bend from a redbreast! This fish fights very hard, and the larger ones of 8, 9, and 10 inches are like pulling in a living, zigzagging, Frisbee.

Redbreast Sunfish . . . my favorite!

Largemouth bass. Fishing from a boat, casting flies into lilypads or cover. I love it when a bucketmouth blasts through the surface or inhales a popping bug and takes off. To me there's nothing like a 5 pounder taking off with a streamer. It is definitely a surprise. A wonderful fight to the end. Smallie fight great too but when it comes to size and availability in my area, largemouth on an 8 wgt. make me happy.

Smallmouth bass are my favorite freshwater fish because of the beauty of the Ozark streams, and northern lakes they inhabit, their acrobatics, and their never say die attitude. Fish in the Pike family run a close second. Cheers.

In an effort to answer like a politician I like the challenge of the trout,the drag destroying run of the Salmon,the meanness of the Pike, the explosion of the Bass, the predictability of the Gills, and the taste of the yellow perch,and God has blessedly made them dumb enough to actually take a fly I tied.Any fish on the right weight rod is a joy. How's that for running around a question.

Frank, the first fished fooled by my fly.

Sorry feeling foolish today.

+ Reply to Thread