+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watch "Made in the USA" on travel channel?

Default Anyone watch "Made in the USA" on travel channel?

This is one of my favorite shows on TV. John Ratzenberger (OK, I don't know how to spell that), AKA: Cliff from Cheers, visits American factories and gives a little insight on their stuff. Last night he visited the Sage Rod factory in Washington state. Interesting. He even tried his hand at a little fly fishing. Looked a lot like how I'm sure I looked at first.

What usually makes me green with envy about this show is that a lot of the factories give him stuff. I was sure they were going to give him his own Sage rod but they apparently didn't.

Thats because they don't make any money on the $600 rods.They're barely keeping their heads above water.
    John

hunh?

care to elaborate?

mgj

OPPS!!! The show is called "Made in America" not "Made in the USA". I'm a dope!

I watch this show on occassion. It's usually quite interesting. Great idea for a TV series. I didn't see the Sage episode.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

John,
    Usually, when a company like Sage has a hard time breaking even, its not because they don't charge enough for their product or the materials cost too much. It's usually because they need to cut costs, and those costs are usually labor. I'm not talking about sending the work off to China, but to cut labor costs they have to lower unemployment, workers comp., etc.

No.I was trying to be a smart ***! I'm sorry.I own 2 sage rods-an " SP "(which I love) and yesterday purchased an "fli",but haven't had a chance to fish with it yet.I had a chance to cast with it first and I know I'll love it too.
    John

John is very close to right and a 600.00 rod sells to a dealer for 300.00. it would scare you to know how little there profit is for a manufacture in a rod that sells retale for 600.00

Rich

I saw both episodes last night and enjoyed the segment on Sage altho I can't afford one. Most interesting to me was that in each episode there were segments on manufactures in Missouri. Everlast in Moberly and Dixon Pencils in Versailles. Betcha'll were thrilled with those little tidbits!!!!

Vic

I've been watching the show since it started last year. So far, Sage is the only fishing tackle manufacturer that's been on. Hopefully, they will get to the others while there are any others left.

+ Reply to Thread