+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Herons

Default Herons

Just saw the closed thread and I have some useful info for both JC and (maybe Bob W). I've worked on our local Garden Tour for several years and herons and ponds are a constant issue in puget sound. People have had 100% success with putting a heron sculpture next to their pond and not getting any more real visitors. Herons REALLY like to fish alone. JC I will guarantee this will work for you. Bob I'm not so sure in a larger setting (or how large your setting is) but you might give it a try. Maybe several sculptures that members move around frequently...it may not stop it but I bet it would really cut down the losses.

We thought it was a good idea too. We bought a heron decoy from a hunting catalog and it really is very nice. The first live heron thought it was nice too, and stood staring at it. We moved it around, the heron returned. I think it was in love.

We put it next to the pond and the fish hid out and wouldn't come into the open until after dark. (They didn't come out for several days after we moved it.)

We still have it, but in the garden away from the fish. The bird netting works for us, and has the extra benefit of keeping the fish from jumping out of the pond when they chase hatching midges.

It was a good idea 'tho.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Hi,
    There was a small flock of Blue Heron that would nest each summer near my parents cottage in Nova Scotia; maybe 25 birds at it's largest? The size of the flock kept increasing each year, and they seemed to fish together. Some bald eagles moved into the area, and started feeding on the herons. A bit ironic really. Anyway, this observation of herons appearing to like company would only apply to when they are nesting though. Nesting behaviour can be quite different from other times of the year, so a "scare heron" might be worth a try. Then again, if you currently get multiple birds visiting the pond, it's unlikely that a single model will make a difference.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Trust me, there is no month that they do not visit. After walking around a bit they leave.

I just read the locked thread and at the risk of being called dumber than usual, might i suggest to the pond owner the use of dogs . If the majority of losses occur in the shallow water at the pond edges a well trained dog or two could help immensely. My lazy untrained mutts run herons and ducks off regularly. Who knows how well they'd work if trained. Making the pond edges too deep for the long legged birds to stand in works also. Just my .02 Rich
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

LF, ...
    ... The first live heron thought it was nice too, and stood staring at it. We moved it around, the heron returned. I think it was in love ...
    Made my day, ... Just busting a gut here imagining a love struck Heron strutting around a decoy

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/travel/quebec06fishin/:26373]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:26373]
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:26373]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:26373]
    Christopher Chin

It really was neat. I can see the fake heron from the window here in the office. As I mentioned we moved it around. I was looking out the window and it appeared JC had moved it again when I didn't know it. 'Appeared', since as I was watching, it walked across the yard. Opps...

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Imagining a heron in love with a statue reminds me of the one Fall where a moose was in love with a cow. They were separated by a fence, but the bull moose lingered around for over 9 weeks.

I love sweetheart stories.

And, Bob, the answer is no: nothing you could state would make you appear that way. <WEG>

I can't make the link in your profile work? The lineage thing. Also, are both of you coming to the Fish In this fall in Idaho?

And fcch,,, watching one of those 'big eyed-pointybeaked-scrawnylegged-fishvacuums' strutting around my ponds is not a lot of fun. Tends to raise my blood-pressure some.

+ Reply to Thread