+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: So what do you do?

Lemme see, I vacuum the house when I'm asked(read 'told'!)to, dust once in awhile, do the dishes because my bride cooks, (we) go grocery shopping....you know. Earns me points to..$pend $ome.

And every week for 40 hrs. (no more!) I "stop in" at this big mfg. plant where they pay me to (play) doing some tool designing of a mechanical nature (fixtures, holding/machining jigs, plastic molds, die cast molds and gages to make sure the produced parts are w/in tolerance).

I used to make quite a lot of custom quality furniture in a downstairs home woodshop whenever I needed a new rod or reel or?? but some elbow probs have kept that away for awhile. (Going to Mayo Clinic 2/15 for a 5th tendonitis operation....) That has severely hampered my lifestyle and threatens casting...We won't go there.

Other than that, after raising two of the easiest (on me) boys ever, who'll both be out of college in a couple years which will enable me to punch out for the last time...Lifes great!

Jeremy....feeling 45 at 55!

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 28 January 2006).]

I am a physical therapist who spends most of his work time treating injuries and wear and tear of the musculoskeletal system. In other words, I spend all day taking care of other people's backs, necks, shoulders, elbows, hands, knees, and ankles, while at the same time wishing my own joints were healthy. This job provides the funds for my flyfishing addiction, and I do enjoy the work. I just hope when I retire in about 7 years that I'm still physically capable of wading the streams I love.

Larry Compton

I'm an accountant who will be a CPA as soon as the State of Michigan cashes the check for the license fee. Too busy this time of year to notice winter.

Mike
    Cadillac, MI

I think I have the ultimate in jobs to pay for fishing.....I write for a fishing magazine. Although I dont get paid in dollars - as its a fledgling magazine. I do get paid in freebies and goodies. I need a new salt waer spinning reel and mentioned it to the editor. 4 days later the courier turned up with a new reel free of charge to me - the only catch is that I write an honest no holds barred report(opinion) on it.
    I get to improve my writing skills, meet people in the industry, learn new things and get my fishing gear for free.

I play the viola in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and have been for the last 34 years. At the same time, I taught viola at the university level, played numerous chamber music concerts, tv/radio commercials, and pop recording sessions. It's really been fun. But I'm really thinking about hanging it up in a couple of years. I'll always be a musician and I'll continue to practice daily. However, at age 62 I think I need more time for the other things in life that have always been so important to me. I was heartened by the others in this thread who spoke so positively about retirement. I've heard nothing but "don't do its" from my colleagues. I recently, like last week, bought a house in western Michigan, between N Muskegon and Whitehall. I'm eager to transition to the new house and into retirement over the next couple of years. I'm really psyched about learning and exploring new waters, hopefully with an assist from the Michigan FAOL friends I haven't met face to face yet.

Bob Swan

cripes, last time I played a Viola was .....20 odd years ago, for a chamber music competition. There were a few firsts that night, we were lucky enough to have Edwin Carr write a piece for us, and I fudged along on an instument I had about 45 minutes instruction on, in a sold out concert hall.....the concertmaster in all her infinite wisdom decided that since I played first violin I could play the viola. Scared me witless.

Whoa!

Wow, there truly are members from all walks of life here. I add yet another dimension. I own a company called Urban Lumber Inc. I source trees from arborists, land development companies, municipal forrestry departments, and wherever else I can find them all over the western states, and saw them up into lumber which I then sell (or will be selling soon). I also do custom milling and will commision one of a kind furniture from my products. I recently started this business and for the past 6 months have been building an inventory while working the bugs outta the whole idea. I'm currently in the process of getting my website built, and should be ready to start retailing in the late spring. Until then I fallback on my trade of 14 years, carpentry, to pay the bills. I've also guided both full and part time over the last six years and hope to get the business to the point where I can guide at least part time.

I teach Navy and Marine Corps Jet Student Pilots when I'm not chasing Reds on the TX coast. Florida is home but TX will do for now....

[This message has been edited by Snuffy (edited 04 February 2006).]

Hey there Snuffy,
    ABSOLUTELY AWEWSOME PHOTO!!!! And THANK YOU for your service to the U S.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread