+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic - What are you reading ??

a collection of letters from the Civil War(The War For Southern Independence) printed in the 50's and recently updated and re-released. The quality of the composition in letters from even the most common footsoldier is amazing
    splinter

Right now I am reading In the Name of Rome by Adrian Goldsworthy (Go history!)

I noticed someone mentioned The Kite Runner, which I had to read for school and I can say without a doubt: I have never been more disappointed with a book or author. It starts with promise and ingenius writing only to devolve into a transparent story that just plain ticked me off. I think that the author tried to rush the book to print once Afghanistan came into the news, which would explain the change in style from the mid-point of the book onwards. End rant
    Edit: P*ssed isn't allowed, so changed to "ticked".

------------------
    -Kyle-

[This message has been edited by Kyle (edited 15 January 2006).]

I just finished " Spiked Boots" by Robert Pike
    Tales of the logging camps, river drives, and other stories from the north country of New Hampshire

------------------
    "too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is just enough"
    Mark Twain
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Dudly,

Hey, ... if you liked that, ... try:

The Loggers Digest: From Horses to Helicopters
    by Barry Coulson

Tales and stories, ... an easy read and takes ya back to the hay days of West Coast (BC) logging.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:cf391]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:cf391]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:cf391]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:cf391]
    Christopher Chin

Just finished, "Sharing Good Times" by President Jimmy Carter. Just started reading McGuane's "An Outside Chance".
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Almost finished Larry the Cable Guy's book "Git-r-done" - I've rarely laughed out loud so much over written words.
    Also working on a book regarding dog language and communication

After that I'll get started back again on my stephen king study's - was completely overtaken by the Dark Tower series and its ties with other stories of his, and plan on doing some reading, re-reading and X-ref-ing with some notes.

Currently reading "A View From Rat Lake" by John Gierach.

Waiting in the wings are "Trout Tactics" by Joe Humphries and "Sex Death and Fly Fishing" by Gierach.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Anything and everything to do with the history of FF/FT. Other reading is solidly via audio book. Currently listening to "The Longest Silence" thru my head set.
    Because I listen when I am tying and often get deep into the tying I can listen to a lot of these tapes over and over. Trout Bum, Trout Magic etc.Outside of fishing related subjects I enjoy anything by Dick Francis the former English racing jockey, , Garrison K, or Patrick McManus. A little of Stephen Dobyns too as all his stuff is 'Saratoga' related.

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 16 January 2006).]

"The Economics of Sports" by William Kern. I started of reading part of it for a paper, but liked it so much I kept going. Also, a copy of Eric Leiser's "The Complete Book of Fly Tying," which I picked up off the bargain table at Border's for $6.

just finished "Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban," starting "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." Read the first three books in a few weeks, I never saw myself reading these, but must say they are very entertaining!

------------------
    Tight lines,

Jeremy Barela
    [url=http://www.danica.com/flytier/jbarela/jbarela.htm:2aa6e]jeremy's flies[/url:2aa6e]

[This message has been edited by barel fly (edited 16 January 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread