+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious

Default Just curious

When a direct question is posted asking for comments on a specific tool or material very frequently a good share of the replies are, "I've never used that stuff BUT I use ----.". This was not the question asked. It must be that these folks have taken lessons in political debating. And what follows is that the thread goes off onto some side issue. If you're not qualified to answer the question, why bother?

Ray, I think folks just read more into the Q than is there and are just offering substitutes that does the same thing or serves the same purpose. In your example your question is answered but then an alternative is given. Beats a bunch of simple "No I haven'ts."

Posts do get sidetracked and a lot of replying is to other posters rather than the original question or statement. It is like that no matter where you go. Just have to go with it.....Bob

Ray,

I try not to hijack other people's threads and usually don't answer if the question is specifically about something I have no knowledge of. But how about that Reggie Bush winning the Heismann trophy? He's a great running back, but he's just a junior. They should have given it to a senior because he'll never have another chance for one. And since Matt Leinart already won it last year, I think it should have gone to Vince Young. I wonder what everyone else thinks?

------------------
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Sometimes Hijacking a thread turns out to be a good thing. On the Fly Tying board I asked a question about a pattern I had seen and lost track of. The question was answered in 2 replies. Then the thread seem to take off on a life of its' own. The thread stayed fairly true to its' roots (lost patterns) but some really great information was passed on that had little to do with the subject that started it. I asked about a spider pattern and ended learning about a great all bead nymph pattern that I had never seen.

When a thread is hijacked before the original subject was covered is a sad thing but at least once, it turned out well.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

The 'highjacking' was one of Al Campbell's pet peeves.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Hi Ray,

I was killing a few minutes waiting on
    the wife earlier. I saw your querry about
    the Perrine Fly Boxes. So I did a little
    searching on line. Your specific question
    was "Are they still in business?" I couldn't find a definitive answer on line.
    I stated that. I did find an outfit that
    still had a limited number of their fly boxes for what seemed reasonable prices. I
    put in the link.

Now I did not find a specific answer
    to your question. And I don't have any way
    of knowing if you were actually seeking the
    fly boxes or looking for repair parts for
    ones you had. Was I wrong to reply? Warm
    regards, Jim

I agree with Ray. Sometimes the response is even worse. One person asked for help in fixing his vise. One of the responses was 'throw it out and buy the brand I like'. Response like this discourage dialgue.

Maybe Silvermallard should change his handle to Jesse James. (G)
    At least I'm not alone.

I agree on the Heisman and seniors thing. I don't think it would have mattered this year though. I think (if I heard right last night) Young is a junior in college and announced he'd be returning next year. Not hijacking a thread, just answering a question.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Chris... you referring to me as mikeytwoshoes? Silver and I were messing around BTW. Sarcastically speaking... of course.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

+ Reply to Thread