+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anniversary

Default Anniversary

Just in case it's been forgotten, this is the 42nd anniversary of the assasination of JFK. In fact, I'm about 30 minutes late in posting this thread. A day I'll never forget.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 22 November 2005).]

I was a "Trick Chief" on duty in the Philippines, it was around 5 a.m. We always had a printer tuned into a news service. One of my crew let out a loud "Oh my God!!". Work stopped as we all gathered around the printer. After the initial shock I remembered to alert the NCOIC of what had happened. He of course notified the CO and joined us. By this time we had 2 more news agency's up and running and were seeing 3 different stories unfold!
    It wasn't untill some 3 hours later that we the received word that our Commander and Chief had died from his wounds.
    It was a very trying time for those of us in the military. I remember it was several days before work returned to an almost normal state.
    Tyeflies; Thanks for reminding us.

I was a freshman in high school. The announcement came over the loudspeaker. First that he had been shot, then about 30 minutes later that he had died. I still have a copy of Life magazine that came out after the assasination and funeral.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I was just a kid at the time - 6th grade - and I can still picture the events of the day in my mind. The principal came to each of the rooms and told us the news. No one really did anything in school for the rest of the day - too much in shock to really focus. The teacher got ahold of a radio, and we sat and listened to the events unfold. The let us out of school on the day of the funeral so we could all watch it on TV. Amazing how one event can change so many lives. Unfortunately, those kind of events seem to keep happening to us.
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

nighthawk Guest

Just about 13 months before my time. I studied J.F.K. a lot when I was in school. I wrote several papers about him. What great courage and vision the man had! Imagine how much better our world could be if not for the bullets of an angry man. What a terrible waste.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Nighthawk;
    I was in the boonies of Thialand when he stood down the USSR on their ICBM's in Cuba!
    Not many men could have stood up to that!
    He was a great and controversial (?) leader.

I was in the sixth grade in a two room school ia Powder Wash camp, a Mt. Fuel gas/oil field camp. The news was brought to us by the teacher's husband and we were sent home.

Did not enjoy that day, none of us went out to play as we had just been studying Lincoln's assasination.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 22 November 2005).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

I think I've posted this, maybe last year or during some chat. I was on my lunchbreak and went to a sporting goods department at a downtown Brooklyn store. My friend and I were planning to go hunting and I was tired of borrowing a rifle from my uncle as I had in a couple of past years. So I was intent on buying a rifle. I had looked at the Winchester model 94 but wanted to see the lever action Marlin. The salesman went into the back to get it and when he came out he said, "The President's been shot".

Never did get to see that rifle. Went to a fraternity house and watched the news with a lot of other people till about 6:00pm. Everyone seemed to be in shock. Then went home and watched tv some more. Two days later while watching tv I saw L. Harvey Oswald get shot by Jack Ruby.
    I didn't go hunting that year.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread