+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: perplex too? [page 4]

Who is this Fellow Named Adam? Why has he created a new language? What is a spinning rod?

Rich

rich, if i'm not mistaken, a spinning rod is a rod for people who want to cast really far and catch really big fish. at least that what it looks like to me when i encounter them while fly fishing.

Hey Flymaker;
    In order to "enlighten" you, a spinning rod is used to make wool. It was invented by Elias Howe who also invented the Boll Weavil and also drank Gin.
    PLease call on me anytime to fill the gaps of your ignorance.

Mark

That's right oh exhaulted one. ( I was absent that day) Elias Howe invented the Sinclair sewing machine,and the grim reaper. Either that or gas stations. In any case great men. And lets not forget Graham(sp) crackers and doorbells by the one and only........... Oh where would we be without these great minds??
    Mark
    PS. Almost forgot good ole Guttenberg and his invention of the Ten Commandments. Like I said, I may have been absent.

correction: Cyrus McCormick invented the grim reaper along with spices in cute little red and white containers.

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 03 June 2005).]

Hey Hywell;
    And you don't see the humor in those quotes?
    ANOTHER one of your posts with which I disagree.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Blog Entries

Go Cubs!

Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I like both sites.

Go Phillies!

Analogbob from NE Pa.

"We live in an analog universe!"

"Trout, Mushrooms and Astronomy forever!"

Bob

I like adam. It's like me daddy always said, "Son....... In this world you are either your own man...... or someone elses boy."
    "It's up to you what you want to be."

Wow. We fly fishermen are a testy lot.

Oh, and I don't own a Sage rod. Never have, never will. Why bother when you can own custom bamboo for the same or less (and you can.)

If we must be elitist, then for the record, graphite is for spinning rods. Real fly fishermen fish bamboo.

Heck, I would venture to say that there is very little difference in casting a 1/4oz. Dardevle and casting a #16 Red Royal Pompous Arse, at least in the essence of each. Fishing is fishing. We as fly fishermen need to get over ourselves.

Of course, in my opinion there is some human need to be better than the masses, at the top of the status heirarchy. It's why my parents blew their retirement on an Avion fifth wheel instead of a Fleetwood - they're the same thing, but one has STATUS... or at least they think so. It's why, when you travel to India, you are mobbed by [url=http://www.dalitnetwork.org/who.html:20384]Dalit children[/url:20384]. Someone decided they were better than them. Someone manufactured STATUS... It's why kids fight to be first in line on the playground...

So, I for one, don't buy STATUS. I don't purchase it either. Heck, I choose to drive a Dodge Neon. I could easily afford that Volvo or Audi, like the ones in my neighbors' garages, but it really doesn't do anything any better than my silver bullet, much to the neighbors' dismay. Utility. I drive. I fish.

I fly fish because it's fun for me. I'm not a better person than the guys in the sparkly boats that dress like stock car drivers, not a better fisherman than bubba and his home dug worms.

The reality is that nobody is better than those they look down upon, it's usually quite the opposite.

Go Fish.

-Gus

[This message has been edited by gstrand (edited 06 June 2005).]

JC, this is a classic example of "Res Ipsa Loquitur" (the Attorneys among us would tell you that the Latin term is often used.)

Translation = "The thing (evidence/action/statements) speaks for itself".

'Nuff said

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

+ Reply to Thread