+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Hats?

The discount and knowledge is nice. But since I don't have a shop with either close by I'll take a dang hat!
    I've ordered from a couple of places online that with every order they have thrown in some kind of material for no charge. Heck!, I drove clear across state to a shop to buy a reel and they threw in a free fly and backing for the drive. Spent a good hour just talking. Also get free shipping on any future orders. The local place gives nothing, no knowledge no discount zip, zilch!! That is why I have pretty much sworn them off. Internet gets 90% of my business now.

I should add that the local places are not mom and pops either. And both could more than afford a hat.

Wow, you guys realy make me appreciate my local shop here in east central Pa. I have been given hats, an organizer each year, very good discounts and much more importantly I am treated as a friend. I receive information, am asked questions of conditions on streams I have recently fished etc. Maybe this is reason Ed has been in business successfully for more than 35 years. I will give him a plug. If you are in or near Pottsville Pa. stop in Ed's Fly shop. Tell him Bruce reccommended it.

I am with Dry Fly Guy , working with our local shop is great, he may not have every thing .But he gets most stuff for you. I recomend using his shop. He is 20 min. north of a Cabela's and we all still haunt the place!

Wet
    Working Trout Bum

Bruce...When I get around Pottsville (possible this summer) I WILL stop & see Ed.
    Wet...Good for you! I drive over 50 miles to shop & visit with the guys at Books and Hooks in Girard, Ohio & I pass some of the larger stores on the way. ANYONE who has a good local shop in their area certainly understands why.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I bought a nice Diamondglass 3 pc, 3 wt from one of their local dealers here in NE Pa. and jokingly asked he he could get them to send me a hat. He laughed and said even he couldn't get one from them, but when he called them in my presence to order the rod for me, he asked them to send a hat with it. Of course they did not comply, as we expected.

I am thinking of getting one of Diamondbacks parent company's new "Sylk" lines to use on the rod. Do you think I should also request a hat from them? After all, I will be giving the business to one of their "Certified Pro" dealers! Maybe I should save my money or buy another brand? Any suggestions?

I concur with Dry fly and Wet fly guys, Ed's Fly Shop in Pottsville. Been dealing with him for years and he's one of the best!
    Joe

The price of Cortland's new Sylk is very modest compared to the usual fly lines today.
    If you want it, buy it. I would not ever make a decision to purchase anything on the basis of getting a free hat.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Let me get this correct, you want to buy a fly line for $45ish and expect to get a free $20 hat???
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I just got a free hat from one of the FAOL sponsors! I ordered a rod blank and after I did I got an email from them telling me they are sending me a free hat. Now how cool is that??

+ Reply to Thread