+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Innocent question

I spend a considerable amount of time on that OT board because I find I can get bright opinions on matters of interest to me. I was bothered during the peiod that it was essentially un-moderated because occasionally....and it was occasionally...something untoward would get going. (I never saw anything downright poronographic.) What Paul and Andre say is accurate.

Usually a lurker, but I have to respond to the tone that this thread has taken. In reference to the "good old days", weren't black puummeled with fire hoses and attacked by dogs while marching for their basic human rights? Weren't women much less free to participate in our society? Sorry folks, but you paint a far too rosey picture of the past.

I guess we could find a lot wrong with our past depending on how far we go back, and yes obviously the things which were done against blacks were wrong as were the treatment of our native americans. Can we fast forward?

Anyone remember when kids chewing gum in high school was THE biggest problem - not teachers having sex with students? Or guns? Or drugs?

That is a major cultural change.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

And again a major cultural change was allowing blacks to drink from the same water fountain at said high school. Sorry, as one of the younger generation I get a little tired of being run down by what is often a selective memory of the past.

wvtrout - sorry to pick on you, I went to high school in the 1950's, we had black, white, brown and asian in my high school. There was no segregated anything. I assume you lived somewhere that had real problems.
    You can choose to relive that if you wish.
    If you do not see any other cultural changes since then you are the one with the problem.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

LF - someone once said that "nostalgia is a sign of old age..."

WV - I don't think anybody here was saying that they thought the old times were better as a whole. From what I've read, I saw people saying that there was a time when people were more courteous and respectful. I don't think that anybody really wants to go back to "the good ole' days." Yes, there are some things that we wish had been carried forward, but there are a lot of things that we are glad have been left behind.

I know that the younger generation(I count myself in there) gets blamed for a lot. In many ways that's unfair. But we don't have to live up to that stereotype. Anybody can choose to step out of that role that is projected onto the younger generation, and be a small example of something other than the stereotype.

Charlie

Fair nuff. Just something that has always gotten hackle up.

+ Reply to Thread