+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few things I learned my first time

Default A few things I learned my first time

I just got back from my first salt water trip for stripers on Cape Cod. Along the way I learned some things that I thought I should pass on to others just getting started in this sport. Hopefully this will help them have as much fun as I did.
    1. Try to discover the predominate bait fish.
    My first night out. I was on the beach at sunset. I'm just learning on my new 10 weight rod. The first half dozen casts are great. I'm feeling confident. Then, a back cast wistles past my ear. I try to put a little punch into my forward cast to make up for it, and the leader wraps around the rod tip. I stand there a little dejected trying to figure out why my Clouser is wriggling. I've snagged a 4" sand eel. Now I know.
    2. When trying to cast perpendicular to the wind, have your casting arm on the down wind side of your body. If this is not possible, use a Clouser with fairly small eyes. They hurt less when they hit you in the back of the head.
    3. If your casting arm is getting tired, duck a little on your forward cast(see#2)
    4.The fighting butt is on your rod for a reason. After catching several 16" schoolies minutes apart my wrist was getting sore. It wasn't just the fish. I was fishing a tidal creek, and the tide was flowing out at a rapid rate. A 16" in a strong current feels like a whoper. I realized this, crammed the butt into my stomach just below the ribs, and landed the next fish much easier. Duh!
    5. When fishing after dark always have a penlight with you. Not so much for wading and casting, but for undoing those *&%#! tangles before a fish rips the guides off your rod.
    6.Above all have fun! A few tangles and knots are nothing compared to a beautifull sunset on an empty beach.
    Thanks to everone who helped me along the way. I look forward to my next trip
    Aaron

Glad you enjoyed it. Note that those bumps will get smaller over time. Trust me, I know. I made a quick foray out to Provincetown this weekend and stole a few hours Sunday morning myself. Me, along with people fishing eels, and casting spoons and jigs all came up with multiple 16" Stripers, but no significant size at all. I still had fun.

Don't forget to rinse off your waders, rod and reel.

jed

jed

well, aaron, now you got the sand in your shoes and the salt in your veins. you'll never be the same!

[This message has been edited by D. Micus (edited 13 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread