+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re: Kenney Abrames

Default re: Kenney Abrames

Dave Micus is an evil man... even worse than evil Dave.

It is cold, snow is coming again, fishing for Striper is not viable, ecept in a very few places and that is for schoolies. And Dave, gets me sooo psyched about Striper fishing. That's not fair.

Loved the story, and I agree with your assessment of Abrames. I've checked out his web site in the past, now I think I'll have to buy some of his books. Oh well, I did not need that money any way.

Nice story Dave.

jed

You know Jed after reading Dave's article, I am more convinced that someday before I die, I need to experience fishing for striped bass in the salt with a fly rod.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Dave,
    Of course I can't speak for Kenny. but I believe he would waste no time setting us all strait that his greased line method for saltwater fishing is the orginal and true method. And those of us that strip our sinking lines, are all new comers and aren't quite doing it right.
    In the floating line presentation BB on his site, he voices some very strong opinions on this. Interesting stuff.
    Oh, and IMHO flat wing flys = big fish flys.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

ad,

Any time you want, just let up know. We have extra anything you need so no more excuses

jed

I have three flies tied by Ken. I've had them for some time. Just can't seem to tie any of them on and risk losing one. Not because they are expensive and I am a cheap SOB, but b/c they are works of art.

Jed, evil dave will have to check with his parole officer before leaving the state.

Definitely get "Striper Moon"--along with Gartside's "Striper Strategies" the best book written about striped bass fishing (though I'd love to get my hands on Chathams!)

I also want to check out Lou Taboury's writing. I've spoken with him several times and find him knowledgable. I wonder if his writing is as informative.

jed

Jed, I have the tabory books--very informative but a too much like a text book for my tastes...

Ed Mitchel's "Fly Rodding the Coast" is a good N.E. saltwater primer.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Have talked with both Tabory and Abrames, and have books by both of them. Two different styles of writing, and of approach.

Personally, I have never done well with flatwings, but it may be due to my lack of tying skill

Striper moon is a good read, as is much on his web site.

...going back into hibernation mode now, so that I don't risk getting too excited for fishing and the warm weather. So far, so good.

Jed, if you still have that 8 wt later in the spring, I want to give it a couple of casts, as I am passively looking for a 8wt travel rod.

kirk

+ Reply to Thread