+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ekich Bobbin

Mine are worth more than gold -- I'll keep the Ekich. Don't knock them until you try them.

Man, flydogg is right about one thing, wasting money on bobbins sux... I can't believe I wasted about $30 on some regular bobbins before going auto.... what a rip!!

Jeff

Hi Flydog33,

I am just a "rookie" about most things and most issues. However, I think we all understand the concept of quality and value. The people that are investing in the bobbin mentioned are those that have chosen this particular item as one deserving of their investement. There are most definately noticeable differences in low quality "anything" to that of a higher quality "samething".

Point being, what one chooses to invest their money in is no one elses business, whether investing in low end or high end. It is the unsolicited judgement of someone that is creating some issues here.

I checked your profile to see something about you before responding to this post. I thought maybe you were a student or someone with considerable experience and knowledge and had a basis for your position. I couldn't find enough information so I had to write this the way it has come across.

Forgive me if this comes across harsh. It isn't meant to.

------------------
    Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

I have tied far more flies without a bobbin. Even the cheapest ones make it nicer. His is so different that it is almost like the same feeling of control I had when tying be hand. It is not that it is just made of quality materials, the design is what sets it apart. So far as I know, no one who has one has gone back to regular ones, just like anyone who now uses any bobbin goes back to tying by hand. Remember, his are not designed like the others.

Hi Folks,

A while back I bought an auto bobbin from
    a sponsor here. I dearly love the darned
    thing. It's not an Erickson, but it is a
    major improvement over the none auto bobbins
    and well worth what I paid for it. I have
    no idea how the Erickson differs but you
    can't very well determine the worth of a
    product site unseen.*G* Warm regards, Jim

I've owned and used the two auto bobbins that I know of. The first required winding thread onto a special bobbin then placing it into the frame of the tool (making sure that it is placed in the proper direction) then winding the thread around one leg to tension it against the rewind spring. Changing thread required repeating the process. I used that bobbin in tandom with non auto bobbins because it was still better to keep it loaded with the thread that you use most often and changing to standard bobbins for changing to little used threads.

Enter the "Ekich" bobbin;

No more winding bobbins and twisting thread around a leg to get it to work! To change thread just change the spool the same as with a standard bobbin. Frauk has the spring tension just right. The weight of the bobbin and thread offsets the rewind spring tension, it hangs where you let go of it. I couldn't get rid of the other auto fast enough so I could justify getting an "Ekich" bobbin.

Faruk is also a very interesting person and a joy to talk with. Tell him what you want the bobbin to do and he will set you up. You won't be disappointed should you buy an "Ekich" bobbin.

Don't let it get back to Faruk, his bobbin is worth more than the $80.00 that I paid for it.

Don O

Ct,
    Does that mean we would have to go back to buying "spooled" threads, instead of bulk threads, if we get an Ekich?
    We use several of the "other" auto's that you mention and like them very well. We do plan on getting a Ekich soon for some spooled threads we have laying around. Gotta try most of the toys, ya know!
    ...lee s.

Lee,

I don't use "bulk" thread but I am assuming that if you do you have to spool it onto smaller spools whatever bobbin you use as
    I've never seen a bobbin that would accept anything larger than the small Uni-Thread spools that I buy at the Fly Shops.

Ekich is a sponsor on this site, click on the logo on the sponsor page. You will see animated photos that are "worth 1000 words"

Don

+ Reply to Thread