+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I asked for some turkey feathers....

Default I asked for some turkey feathers....

A coworker went turkey hunting this weekend. I had asked him to get me a couple quills and some wing feathers for me if he shot one. Well, he did and instead of a few feathers, he brought me the whole dang bird! (Well, minus the meat/head/guts, etc.) Now I've got a trash bag containing a frozen turkey carcass sitting on my office floor.

I haven't looked at the bird yet, but what other feathers can I use? I'm fine with just plucking a few of the feathers mentioned earlier, but if there are others that I could make use of I'd like to do that.

Suggestions?

I'd save the tail coverts (great for muddlers), marabou and a flats. Save all 18 tail feathers and every wing secondary--and a few primaries for biots.

Keep the marabou. It's the only thing that you will need to tie one of my favorites. The Whiskey Fly (nothing but wild turkey marabou)

Kevin

We did an entire turkey swap earlier this winter, and there were some very interesting flies. Personally I like those mid-chest feathers with all the florescents in them. Cool things. JGW

I received a Ring-necked Pheasant from a fellow and I still regret not plucking the entire bird.

My 2 cents... Pluck the bird, the whole bird!!

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Hi A-D,
    Many parts of the turkey are very useable and I often substitute the tail feathers for pheasant when tying nymphs with wing cases. I have used the metailc copper looking feathers in addition to rams wool for wool head sculpins and as previously mentioned, have also used the marabou portions for buggers etc. I would assess your tying needs before you dispose of the feathers and I would also be VERY careful about isolating the feathers from your other tying supplies.
    Be sure to clean them thoroughly with a dawn dishsoap solution, dry them and then put them into a ziplock bag with mothballs and the whole bag inside a rubbermaid sealed container for awhile.

+ Reply to Thread